none
Azure SQL database versus Microsoft SQL on AWS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have had some problems with the database speed for www.justlearn.com - The website is simple, but we have thousands of database requests every day. The database is Microsoft SQL hosted on AWS. If you moved the SQL database to Azure SQL database, are there any performance advantages?

Regards,

Philip Rossen

CEO & Founder

Justlearn

Sunday, July 21, 2019 11:53 AM

All replies

• https://logz.io/blog/azure-vs-aws/

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Sunday, July 21, 2019 12:45 PM
  • Good day Justlearn,

Your question is very general and cannot be answered without fully familiar with your specific system in depth. Moreover, we have no idea which exact pricing tier you are using today and which pricing tier you want to use in the Azure. You can use a low price tier which will give you low performance or you can select the tier which will provide you best performance but will probably cost a lot more.

There are multiple factors which you need to take into consideration in order to compare services! 

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Sunday, July 21, 2019 1:00 PM
  • Hi,

We have had some problems with the database speed for www.justlearn.com - The website is simple, but we have thousands of database requests every day. The database is Microsoft SQL hosted on AWS. If you moved the SQL database to Azure SQL database, are there any performance advantages?

I am little surprised this question is coming from CEO and founder. Ok if I go ahead and say yes it will increase and throw some Azure jargons at you would you actually believe "just" on that :) I am sure you are smart enough and would do lot of research about it. 

The best answer is it "it may" because there are lot of open parameters here. Did you posted in AWS forum with specific details I would suggest to post their and see the response may be you are missing something obvious.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Sunday, July 21, 2019 5:25 PM
  • We did move the MS SQL database to Azure. It did prevent downtime during MS SQL updates. The performance is slightly better. We will properly migrate the database to MySQL soon, because there are less license costs, better hosting plans on AWS and other benefits.

Regards,

Philip Rossen

CEO & Founder

Justlearn

Friday, October 18, 2019 8:29 AM