none
Outlook 2016 Std. - Connection to Microsoft Exchange has been lost RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

we are having ongoing problems with Outlook 2016. The connection to Microsoft Exchange has been lost! It happens several times a day. We are running Outlook on Remote Desktop Server hosted on a Hyper-V Windows Server 2012R2.

We are using a service provider who is hosting Microsoft Exchange for us and many other clients. It was working fine for the longest time. We encountered problems after the service provider made some configuration changes early this year. We reported the problem after a configuration change it was working again for several month.

Outlook is having connection issues again. The Provider stated the root of the problem is on our server and has maxed their time on troubleshooting the issue.

When looking at the recent event logs, the Rpc call stands out.

Rpc call (Unknown) on transport (ncacn_http) to server (10d14f29-a809-44ba-856b-93861ee2c665@xxxxxxxxxbc.ca) failed with error code (6be) after waiting (0) ms; eeInfo (Block (0), Error = 6be, Version = 1, GeneratingComponent = 2, DetectionLocation = 6ae, Flags = 0, Params = 1, [Param (0) Type = eeptLongVal, Value = 1], Block (1), Error = c0021009, Version = 1, GeneratingComponent = 2, DetectionLocation = 6b8, Flags = 0, Params = 0, Block (2), Error = c0021009, Version = 1, GeneratingComponent = d, DetectionLocation = 579, Flags = 0, Params = 0, Block (3), Error = c0021009, Version = 1, GeneratingComponent = e, DetectionLocation = 567, Flags = 0, Params = 2, [Param (0) Type = eeptLongVal, Value = 2efe], [Param (1) Type = eeptUnicodeString, Value = /rpc/rpcproxy.dll?10d14f29-a809-44ba-856b-93861ee2c665@xxxxxxxxxbc.ca:6001]).

I replaced the server name with xxxxxx.

I tried the outlook connectivity test, it was successful.

Please help with troubleshooting the problem.

Thanks,

Manfred

Saturday, October 19, 2019 12:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Manfred,

As here we mainly focus on issues regarding Office desktop client. For your issue which may need to be checked via Exchange server or DNS side, I'll move it to Exchange forum for further research.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 6:34 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Thank you for your response.

Regards,

Manfred

Monday, October 21, 2019 5:33 PM
  • Hi Perry,

Can I still use this post to get updates?

Thanks,

Manfred

Monday, October 21, 2019 5:46 PM
  • Hi Manfred,

Can you provide more details about the phenomenon of the issue? Does autodiscover work well? 

What's the detailed version of your Exchange server? 

What configuration was changed before this Outlook connectivity issue? Do all users have the same issue?

You can try to create a new Outlook profile and check if the issue persists.

Please check with the Outlook on PC inside the domain instead of using Remote Desktop Server.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 5:45 AM
  • Hi Lydia,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I used the Connectivity Analyzer,  test with Autodiscover was successful.

We are using a service provider that is hosting our mailboxes on their server. I have requested more detailed information on their Exchange server. I will provide once I receive the information.

We have not changed any configuration on our side other than installing Windows Updates. We encountered problems after the service provider made some configuration changes early this year. We reported the problem, a configuration change was made and it was working again for several month. Now we encounter the intermittent connection issues again. Yes all users have the same issue.

We created new Outlook Profiles but the issue persists. 

We tried running Outlook on a laptop instead of using the Remote Desktop Server - same issue.

We will setup Outlook on a laptop again tomorrow and will do more testing.

Thanks and Regards,

Manfred

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 5:36 PM
  • Hi Manfred,

That's OK. You are welcomed to post here if you get more information about Exchange server.

You also can check OWA, and test Outlook outside your domain.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Thursday, October 24, 2019 8:51 AM
  • Hi Lydia,

I received the information from the service provider. They are using Exchange Server 2016 Std. Edition Version 15.1 (Build 1713.5)

The changes they made was KeepAliveTime in registry.

We are using OWA all the time when Outlook has lost it's connection.

What other troubleshooting tools can you recommend?

Thank you,

Manfred

Friday, October 25, 2019 8:52 PM
  • Hi Lydia,

Additional note: OWA always works.

Manfred

Friday, October 25, 2019 8:53 PM
  • Hi Manfred,

I did some research and found that KeepAliveTime controls how often TCP attempts to verify that an idle connection is still intact by sending a keep-alive packet. If the remote system is still reachable and functioning, it acknowledges the keep-alive transmission.

By default, the KeepAliveTime doesn't exist and set to 2 hours. You can try to delete the key or set it to 7,200,000ms, then reboot the server at the free time.

Here is a blog about KeepAliveTime, you can get more information from it: What is KeepAliveTime used for in regards to Exchange?

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 9:21 AM
  • Hi Lydia,

Thank you for your respond. Unfortunately this is not our server I will pass this information to the service provider.

Regards,

Manfred

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 5:35 PM
  • Hi Manfred,

Hope everything works well and your issue can be solved soon. Have a nice day.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Friday, November 1, 2019 10:45 AM