W10 forcing update to faulty trackpad driver RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a relatively new Dell (6mo) laptop and have been running Windows 10 as the main OS for a couple of months. A couple of updates ago the Synaptics touchpad driver was updated and my curser started hanging and behaving erratic. I rolled back to the previous driver and all works well. But windows update is insisting that I install the driver that doesn't work.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this - I would prefer not to go back to 8.1.

Thanks

Friday, July 24, 2015 6:44 PM

All replies

• The following will help you to ignore trackPad driver to be forcefully downloaded via Windows Update:

How to hide or block Windows Updates or driver updates in Windows 10 Insider Preview

If you find rolled back driver works fine then just stick to that.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 1:08 AM
  • Thanks I have tried it and it does work. However, after hiding it I can't get any additional updates. Been through this more than twice. When the driver update is hidden I do get notifications for new updates but they will not install as long as the driver update is hidden. Only way to get new updates is to let WU reinstall the driver, reboot and install the new updates and in order to actually make my computer usable I have to roll back the trackpad driver to have a functioning system to use the new updates. Whats wrong with this picture (its pretty typical M$)!
    Tuesday, July 28, 2015 3:02 AM