none
Calling SQL Names RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Hoping it's okay to go back to this old thread as it is the only one I can find on this subject.  I have an SQL cluster containing 2 nodes. It consists of a Microsoft Failover Cluster with 2 nodes. I have installed SQL 2016 as a clustered role on to the cluster. The cluster uses network-attached storage (it is not using Always-On). The SQL cluster role has an associated network name which is (obviously) different to the underlying server nodes names and is the SQL instance name. So, I effectively have the following (I'm not using the real names here but you get the idea):

SQL2016-n1 (first Windows 2016 server)

SQL2016-n2 (second Windows 2016 server)

SQL2016-CAP (the failover cluster access point)

SQL2016 - the network name for the SQL server - which is the SQL server name for access via Management Studio (and other ODBC connection strings, etc.).

I can make Azure hybrid connections to all of the above except the SQL server name, SQL2016. I cannot, however, reference SQL using the other names as none of them are SQL instance names... 

Please could anyone advise on how I reference an SQL instance from Azure where the instance has a different name to the server endpoint name... ?

Any advice most gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Adèle

Friday, October 18, 2019 3:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Hoping it's okay to go back to this old thread as it is the only one I can find on this subject.  I have an SQL cluster containing 2 nodes. It consists of a Microsoft Failover Cluster with 2 nodes. I have installed SQL 2016 as a clustered role on to the cluster. The cluster uses network-attached storage (it is not using Always-On). The SQL cluster role has an associated network name which is (obviously) different to the underlying server nodes names and is the SQL instance name. So, I effectively have the following (I'm not using the real names here but you get the idea):

SQL2016-n1 (first Windows 2016 server)

SQL2016-n2 (second Windows 2016 server)

SQL2016-CAP (the failover cluster access point)

SQL2016 - the network name for the SQL server - which is the SQL server name for access via Management Studio (and other ODBC connection strings, etc.).

I can make Azure hybrid connections to all of the above except the SQL server name, SQL2016. I cannot, however, reference SQL using the other names as none of them are SQL instance names... 

Please could anyone advise on how I reference an SQL instance from Azure where the instance has a different name to the server endpoint name... ?

Any advice most gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Adèle

Good day Adèle,

There is a bit of a mess here I think. Your message was splitted from the original thread, probably since you responded to an old message. Therefore, now we don't have the background of the original message. First of all please do not respond to old messages especial if the thread already closed. Instead, next time please open new thread and add ling to the original discussion if needed for more information. For Moderators that split message from a thread I recommend to add a short response to the message after the split, which explain why or at least provide link to the original thread 👍

During the split the message was mistakenly moved to this forum which is "Azure SQL Database" or original thread was in this forum. It seems like your question is related to on-premises SQL Server (or on VM) and not azure database. 

Back to the question,

>> Please could anyone advise on how I reference an SQL instance from Azure where the instance has a different name to the server endpoint name... ?

The architecture seems clear to me in first glance but the question not.

If you can connect the server from outside the Azure, then why don't you use the same way from the azure and more important, what do you mean by "from azure"?!? Azure is not a place or an entity by general name for set of services that Microsoft provides. From which service in the Azure you want to connect to the server?

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Saturday, October 19, 2019 1:57 AM
  • Hi Adèle,

You should have three FQDN entries for these two SQL Server instances, as you stated. 

1. SQL2016-n1 (first Windows 2016 server)
    2. SQL2016-n2 (second Windows 2016 server)
    3. SQL2016-CAP (the failover cluster access point)

The issue is with the 4th reference (SQL2016). The issue is that the 3rd option has become the primary network name for both option #1 and #2, and windows failover clustering controls which instance is active and which is standby.

One possible solution is to create a new alias for each SQL Server instance: Create or Delete a Server Alias for Use by a Client

This would be to create an alias for each physical server to allow direct connections in addition to the windows clustering functionality. You do not want to overwrite to undue any configuration that might break the Windows clustering functinality.

As part of the SQL Server Failover Cluster set-up, when you select the install client tools option, it installs and allows for client connectivity on that server. It also does the same on the secondary server. Please see: Install Client Tools on a SQL Server Failover Cluster

Did you select this option? If you did but are wanting to connect from remote hosts, please launch SSMS from the primary server and verify the connection configuration. It might be using named pipes and you simply need to enable TCP/IP and use that instance name to connect. Something to check.

Please let us know if you have additinal questions.

Regards,

Mike

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 11:00 PM