Stuck on OCS 2007 install: Web Components is being stubborn RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to install OCS 2007 R2 on Server 2008 R2, but the web components are not cooperating. The installation gives me the error: Failure
    [0xC3EC79F6] The Web Components Server was not found on this machine. Either it is not installed or there is a problem with IIS installation. If you are using setup application and IIS was recently installed on this machine, please re-launch the setup application.

I've tried to activate the server via lcscmd, but it gives me the same error (de-activating does nothing). I've tried to uninstall web components so I can reinstall it, but the uninstall gives me the error: Error 0x80070490 (Element Not Found) getting WMI instance MSFT_SIPServerInstalledComponentData in namespace ROOT\DEFAULT\WINRTC_REPOSITORY during action AddOrUpdateWMIInstanceEx.

I've tried uninstalling all of OCS 2007 and then uninstalling web components but it still gives me the same error. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling IIS. I've tried installing from the command line using msiexec /fa Webcomponents.msi to force a reinstall, but the OCS installers don't support the repair option. I would prefer to not reinstall Server 08, but I can do that as a last resort. Any thoughts before I reinstall?

Thanks
    Monday, December 21, 2009 7:03 PM

Answers

• OCS 2007 R2 is not supported on Server 2008 R2, so even if you find a way around this issue you'll still not be able to use some Conferencing features.

See this thread for more details:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsplanningdeployment/thread/c46c10e7-82e5-4e48-b77d-c81e9e4424b7
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by nebrius Thursday, December 24, 2009 1:14 AM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 8:52 PM
  • Well, although its not supported, we all managed to get pass the installation !!

From my experience everything worked fine, except the Audio/Video in the Live meeting console.

Regards,
    Mohammad Saeed 
    Monday, December 21, 2009 9:50 PM

All replies

• OCS 2007 R2 is not supported on Server 2008 R2, so even if you find a way around this issue you'll still not be able to use some Conferencing features.

See this thread for more details:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsplanningdeployment/thread/c46c10e7-82e5-4e48-b77d-c81e9e4424b7
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, December 21, 2009 8:52 PM
  • Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. I managed to get past the problem presented in the thread you linked to some time ago (installing desktop experience solved that). Do you happen to know which conferencing features work, and which ones don't, assuming I can get the current issue worked out?
    • Unmarked as answer by nebrius Thursday, December 24, 2009 1:14 AM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 9:43 PM
  • Well, although its not supported, we all managed to get pass the installation !!

From my experience everything worked fine, except the Audio/Video in the Live meeting console.

Regards,
    Mohammad Saeed 
    Monday, December 21, 2009 9:50 PM
  • So I never did get past that bug, but an OS reinstall did sidestep it. Thanks for the input.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 1:14 AM