none
Implementation strategy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've read a lot about the Biztalk RFID Mobile solution, and about the 'store and forward' strategy as the only strategy that is generally being used. I have the following scenario, and I'm looking for any guidelines on how to implement this scenario using Biztalk Mobile RFID / RFID Server.

1. Our client uses handheld barcode/RFID scanners. Scanning is done as part of wizard style form input.

2. In the current solution, after filling out a field, or a form page, with the barcode in one of the fields, the data is posted to a server, processed, and the application receives a response from the server synchronously (server performs lookups and validation based on the input data, backend communication with SAP using IDOC's).

The 'store and forward' strategy does not apply to this situation, because the user depends on the response from the server to continue the process on the handheld scanner terminal.

- What strategy should be applied? I just can't figure out the communication strategy, because for this business case, scanning barcodes is just an alternative form field input method.

- Is Biztalk RFID Mobile the best solution? I have also read about the LLRP protocol, which seems to support a more interactive communication with the server.

- The alternative would be to ignore the entire Biztalk RFID Mobile part, just use the DSPI to get the scanner data into the forms in a generic way, and use a normal WCF connector into Biztalk for synchronous processing (request-response pattern). Can I use the SDK part on the devices without the server part just for generic interfacing with the scanner hardware from my Win CE application?

- Then again, Biztalk RFID Mobile comes with device management as well, which is part of the current (vendor locked proprietary) solution...

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, September 8, 2016 1:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

- What strategy should be applied? I just can't figure out the communication strategy, because for this business case, scanning barcodes is just an alternative form field input method.

Generally you have 2 kinds of RFID scanners being used in conjugation with BizTalk RFID.

1>Fixed reader : This is useful when the Scans have to happen within a designated area and hence you can have mutiple fixed RFID antennas installed with reader and that inturn will feed your BizTalk RFID Event handler. 

2>Handheld devices: It shall be used when you have a mobile setup and people are required to scan anywhere and when the network is available a sync job will feed into RFID event handler, basically inline with store and forward.

Having said that you need to decide what kind of RFID scan environment you will be catering to and decide which type of RFID device will you use. 

- Is Biztalk RFID Mobile the best solution? I have also read about the LLRP protocol, which seems to support a more interactive communication with the server.

Yes it is.

- The alternative would be to ignore the entire Biztalk RFID Mobile part, just use the DSPI to get the scanner data into the forms in a generic way, and use a normal WCF connector into Biztalk for synchronous processing (request-response pattern). Can I use the SDK part on the devices without the server part just for generic interfacing with the scanner hardware from my Win CE application?

Using RFID even handler you can generate your BizTalk WCF service request and post it to the BizTalk service from RFID event handler using a RFID process easily. Basically I ma referring about two seperate layers: 1> RFID Event Handler Layer 2>BizTalk EDI solution published as service.

- Then again, Biztalk RFID Mobile comes with device management as well, which is part of the current (vendor locked proprietary) solution...

For handheld reader you can go with Motorola handheld device and for fixed ones you can use Alien reader.

Below are the pointers.

https://atgsupportcentral.motorolasolutions.com/content/emb/docs/manuals/16737202a.pdf

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/masimms/2008/12/04/part-1-hands-on-building-an-end-to-end-solution-with-biztalk-rfid-and-the-alien-9650/

Regards Pushpendra Singh : Please mark the reply as answer or vote it up, as deemed fit.

Thursday, September 8, 2016 2:38 AM