none
SCCM 1702 - Software Centre 0x87D00443 (-2016410557) instead of running applications prompt RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

We've upgraded to 1702 of SCCM and I am testing out the install behaviour tab option in one of the applications I'm looking to release. I specified two applications in this tab option, the EXE name and the description. When testing the install I get an immediate failed status and when selecting the hyperlink for the failed status I get an error (attached) rather than a message showing what applications need to be closed.

Scott Breen in this article https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/configmgrdogs/2017/03/12/application-fails-to-install-with-error-code-0x87d00443-2016410557/ describes why the errors occurs, but I am on the understanding that with 1702 release an actual message for end users would detail what applications to close - as described in this link https://www.systemcenterdudes.com/sccm-install-behavior-for-applications/.

Does anything additional in SCCM need to be configured?

Ollie

• Edited by OllieSaleh Wednesday, June 21, 2017 1:53 PM .
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 1:50 PM

All replies

• As far as i know this experience will be updated in the next release SCCM CB 1706.

It has already changed in the SCCM TP Versions. You can look at it if you install the TP 1703 and update to the last TP 1705:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-system-center-configuration-manager-and-endpoint-protection-technical-preview

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 2:10 PM
  • For what I understand 1702 is referenced to have the feature and I cannot see any other reference of a different SCCM branch version that is higher than 1702. On uservoice it is also listed for 1702.

https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas/suggestions/8340111-check-for-running-exe-give-the-user-the-option-t

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2017/03/26/now-available-update-1702-for-system-center-configuration-manager/

It doesn't appear we've done anything different compared to various articles about setting up the feature in 1702.

Any feedback would be great.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 3:11 PM
  • As Michael noted, it's included in a technical preview (TP) which 1705 is. TPs are not production releases but generally provide a glimpse or preview of what will be in the next production release.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 3:49 PM
  • Hi, 

What you are seeing is by design in 1702 when you deploy the application as required it will fail the deployment with that error message if the .exe file is running that you added to the list of running .exe files that must be closed. The dialog to close the applications are only shown i the deployment of the application is "Available" and the user launches it from Software Center.

More improvements to this behvaiour is to be expected in the future.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 4:59 PM
  • Hi Jorgen,

Quite right in your statement, I was reviewing both required and available deployments. The deployment however was set as available, but I did not receive the dialog to close the applications - which was my concern to whether I had misconfigured something in SCCM and hence also to some confusion because in 1702 it is mentioned as well as documented in various places but I did not get the dialog box you describe.

I imagine because it is a pre-release feature that it may just be a bug of sorts? Or yet to be improved as you say?

Ollie

Thursday, June 22, 2017 10:11 AM
  • I thought it was supposed to pop up a more friendly dialogue box, and not spit out an error that doesn't map to anything when you click on "more information".

I realize its a pre-release feature, but what is an end user supposed to do with that info other than call the helpdesk?

Thursday, July 6, 2017 5:45 PM
  • Hi! Same problem here! We installed 1706 this week because we really have been waiting for this feature. However, we also get only this "not pretty" error in the Software Center instead of this pretty window with name and icon of the application. What's wrong? Something missing?

Every help is appreciated.

Dietmar

Thursday, September 7, 2017 10:45 AM
  • My testing shows that in order to see the user friendly message and not just the error message in CM1702, you must also have the Computer Agent client settings policy "Show notifications for new deployments" set to YES. 

EDIT: 

Okay, sorry for giving bad info, but what I said above can't be correct, because now I have it working with "Show notifications for new deployments" set to "NO". I do still have user notifications of the application deployment set to "Display in Software Center and show all notifications".

This is what I know. Originally it wasn't working for me. I set up a new client policy that switched to the old Software Center (I read somewhere else that it was only working in the old Software Center and not the new) and then set "Show notifications to new deployments" to "yes". Deployed that policy...

Voila! My clients started receiving the pretty UI prompt. I then reverted back to the new Software Center. Still worked. Now, I've reverted to "Show notifications to new deployments" back to "No". It is STILL working.

So at this point, I am at the same exact spot I was in when I first began, except it was broken before and now it is working. I can't explain that except to say that this is still considered a pre-production feature and I think it must be buggy. :-\ 

• Edited by DW10 Friday, September 8, 2017 6:57 PM clarification
    Friday, September 8, 2017 6:09 PM
  • You have to switch to the new Software Center in the Client Settings Policy -> Computer Agent.
    • Proposed as answer by Michael-CM Friday, September 8, 2017 6:21 PM
    Friday, September 8, 2017 6:21 PM
  • In CB 1706 the experience is improved. The user gets a clear message which apps should be closed. You have to switch to the new Software Center to get it.
    • Proposed as answer by Michael-CM Friday, September 8, 2017 6:26 PM
    • Edited by Michael-CM Friday, September 8, 2017 6:26 PM
    Friday, September 8, 2017 6:26 PM
  • We already use the new Software Center.

Friday, September 8, 2017 6:39 PM
  • We will try. Thanks!
    Friday, September 8, 2017 6:42 PM
  • After testing I am able to confirm that the setting "Show notifications for new deployments" must be set to true. After set to no it stoped working for us. Thanks @DW10. After reenabling it works. I tried it 10 times or more.

But why this is depending on the "Show notifications for new deployments" client setting I cannot understand and in my own opinion it's sensless.

Thanks!

Dietmar

Monday, September 11, 2017 11:33 AM
  • You can create an idea on UserVoice:

https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas

Or call CSS/PSS

Monday, September 11, 2017 11:43 AM
  • we have also the problem with cm1710 kb4057517

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 2:40 PM
  • We are running CM 1802 and this "issue" still exists for us as well.

Did anyone create a uservoice on this?

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 12:46 PM
  • After testing I am able to confirm that the setting "Show notifications for new deployments" must be set to true. After set to no it stoped working for us. Thanks @DW10. After reenabling it works. I tried it 10 times or more.

But why this is depending on the "Show notifications for new deployments" client setting I cannot understand and in my own opinion it's sensless.

Thanks!

Dietmar

Still not working on  1906 with latest hotfixes.
    Friday, October 18, 2019 7:39 AM