Windows Inplace upgrade failed ( Windows 2008 to Windows 2012 R2 ) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I have tried to do the inplace upgrade from Windows 2008 to Windows 2012 R2 standard. OS upgrade failed after completed 75% ( went on hung state ). I just wanted to find the root cause why upgrade got failed to prepare the RCA.

Can some one advise me the process and procedure, related logs to find the root cause.

Thanks & regards

Raj.

Monday, July 20, 2020 3:07 PM

All replies

• An in-place upgrade is never recommended for many reasons. You can review the log files here. Please don't post log files to forums.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-log-files-and-event-logs

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, July 20, 2020 3:12 PM
  • Hi,

You could check out these related logs: Windows Setup Log Files and Event Logs for more clues.

Also see more detail on Upgrade Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012 R2

I hope this information above can help you.

This "Setup Deployment" Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

"Setup Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Setup Deployment"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2020 7:01 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 23, 2020 7:28 AM
  • Hi,

Since you have not responded for a long time, please let us know if you would like further assistance.

If the reply is useful for you, please take it as answer.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Farena

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 9:10 AM