Windows 10 GPO Specify "Screen Saver.scr" not working RRS feed

• Question

• In the past we used grimadmin.com Screen Saver Operations to force idle students to log out of machines after a specific period of time.

At some unknown point in time that stopped working and I have been tasked with figuring out why it stopped working and how to fix it.

The why appears to be because the settings we were using are no longer supported by Microsoft.

"User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\personalization"
    * Enable screen saver - Enabled 
    * Force specific screen saver - Enabled - Screen saver executable name - Screensaver Operations.scr 
    * Prevent changing screen saver - Enabled
    * Screen saver timeout - Enabled - Seconds: 3600

My question is, is there a supported method for this, because each of those 4 settings starts with the wording "Note: This setting is obsolete and will not be available for future use". Each of the 4 settings recommends using different settings to set the the desktop background to a specific image and to prevent users from changing the lock screen background, but that is not what I am trying to do at all. I am trying to force the .scr file as the screen saver with a timeout.

Thanks in advance!

• Edited by Adam Seitz Tuesday, December 4, 2018 10:40 PM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2018 10:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

What is your Windows 10 version?

In Windows 10, version 1607, the "Force specific screen saver" Group Policy settings apply only to Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education.

Please refer the link below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/group-policies-for-enterprise-and-education-editions

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/windows-spotlight

Best Regards,

Lee

Just do it.

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 5:37 AM
  • We are on Windows 10 Education 1803 (still waiting on 1809).

Neither of those links contained information about setting a specific screen saver.

Looking at this article: https://computerstepbystep.com/force-specific-screen-saver.html I might be able to do a reg push with GPO but I'd rather find the correct setting if it still exists.

Our ADMX files are current too.

Thanks!

Portland Public Schools / Systems Administrator II

• Edited by Adam Seitz Wednesday, December 5, 2018 4:11 PM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2018 3:25 PM
  • Any other ideas for this? I am still stumped.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:44 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding and patience.

Based on the complexity and the specific situation, we need to do more researches. If we have any updates or any thoughts about this issue, we will keep you posted as soon as possible. Your kind understanding is appreciated. If you have further information during this period, you could post it on the forum, which helps us understand and analyze this issue comprehensively.

<o:p>Best Regards,</o:p>

Lee

Just do it.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 6:46 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding and patience.

Based on the complexity and the specific situation, we need to do more researches. If we have any updates or any thoughts about this issue, we will keep you posted as soon as possible. Your kind understanding is appreciated. If you have further information during this period, you could post it on the forum, which helps us understand and analyze this issue comprehensively.

<o:p>Best Regards,</o:p>

Lee

Just do it.

I have not tried any other things yet, as I have not been able to find any other portions of group policy that can set a specific screen saver.

Thanks for you help, I really appreciate the effort!

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:44 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

In my Windows 10 version 1809 machine, it said "Note: This setting is obsolete and will not be available in the future. Use "force display of specific default lock screen image and login image" and "block change of lock screen interface image and login image" instead."

Sorry, I haven't found a Microsoft document about this issue. Maybe you can try to use script change registry key value, and use GPO to push the script to the machines as your link said to solve your issue.

Best Regards,

Lee

Just do it.

Friday, December 14, 2018 7:31 AM