Public Folders in office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• We presently use Microsoft Online services.  Will Office 365 allow the use of public folders in exchange and sharepoint?
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:26 AM

Answers

• No - public folders will not be supported by Exchange Online in Office 365.

Kayvaan Ghassemieh | Senior Product Manager | Microsoft Online Services | www.office365.com
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:18 PM

All replies

• My understanding is that public folders will not be supported. Microsoft has been advising customers to move public folders to SharePoint for a number of years and this is great advice. There are third party tools to mimic public folders for end users in Outlook and certain scenarios for shared folders are allowed, like info@xyzcompany.com or sales @xyzcompany.com.
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:13 PM
  • I had logged calls with Online Service Support on Public Folders. Main issue for my client was that public folders were not available in Exchange Online, but the Managed Folders are available. Problem there is that the contents of the Managed Folders count towards each users 25GB limit. Best option for shared files is SharePoint Online, where the document libraries can be linked into the mailbox. Then you have the issue of the 250MB allowance for each user on Sharepoint Online, this is the one basic area I hope Microsoft address in the Next Generation BPOS (Office 365, Wave 14).
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:04 PM
  • No - public folders will not be supported by Exchange Online in Office 365.

Kayvaan Ghassemieh | Senior Product Manager | Microsoft Online Services | www.office365.com
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:18 PM
  • In using the online services share point I was advised by MS support that public folders or more important to me public calendars were not supported. I have a need to share multiple calendars with users inside and outside my domain. Is there a tool inside Office 365 that will allow sharing calendars?
    Friday, October 22, 2010 5:12 AM
  • We moved our public calendars to Sharepoint (and made a few into resources, so they handle their own room scheduling), and that seems to have worked well. We've had a lot of trouble with public contacts, because the Sharepoint contacts cannot contain distribution lists.
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:16 PM
  • Microsoft support says "no".  Big oversight on the part of Microsoft.  The company seems to have entirely lost touch with real-world users of their products.

I was about to move our organization to Office365.  Now I am looking at other hosting companies specifically because M$ decided not to support Public Folders -- a vital component of Exchange to many organizations.

Telling us we need to re-train users and start using Sharepoint instead is an unacceptale band-aid.  Or their suggestion of trying to use shared mailboxes -- an ugly workaround at best.

• Edited by Mikey 999 Friday, June 8, 2012 3:31 PM
    Friday, June 8, 2012 3:30 PM
  • My understanding is that public folders will not be supported. Microsoft has been advising customers to move public folders to SharePoint for a number of years and this is great advice. There are third party tools to mimic public folders for end users in Outlook and certain scenarios for shared folders are allowed, like info@xyzcompany.com or sales @xyzcompany.com.

"Great advice"?  Would this be the one-size-fits-all solution without even bothering to figure out what a company actually needs?

New server (or hosting service), new skills, new setup, new user training -- all so you can obtain what is already available and working well?  Sorry, that is not great advice.

If an organization actually needs Sharepoint for other things, consolodating Public Folders into sharepoint can make perfect sense.

Friday, June 8, 2012 3:39 PM
  • The other options for public folders is Shared Folders.  If all you need is a file dump, a hosted service is not necessarily the best option for you.

Have a great day,

Dan

www.insecurityinc.info

Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:37 PM
  • My problem is clients who have > 10k shared contacts and want them accessible in Outlook or OWA.  Unless I'm missing something, I can't do that with a SharePoint list.
    Monday, August 6, 2012 1:51 PM
  • For Outlook this is no problem.  There is a specific list type called a Contact List.  There is no limit to the number of contacts in a list, but you do need to, when viewing in the browser, limit VIEWs to 5k (for performance reasons).  You can then connect this list to Outlook and not have a problem.  You won't be sync the same information from SharePoint to OWA, but you can copy the content from Outlook to your mailbox Contacts and then they will show up in OWA.

Have a great day,

Dan

http://insecurityinc.info

Monday, August 6, 2012 2:02 PM