none
Windows Server 2016 TP5 - No longer able to choose between Core of Full GUI installation? RRS feed

• Question

• I've just installed a fresh installation of Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5 and noticed that I no longer have the option during installation to choose between Core of Full GUI installation. It just installs the full GUI installation by default.

Did anyone else noticed this behaviour?

Thursday, April 28, 2016 12:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Arcom

See the graphic below

If I don't enter a product key I get all four of these options

When I choose the top option I get this installed. (this is from the eval version not the msdn version)

So - it is working for me as before.

Yours

Ed

Please mark this as an answer if it was helpful

Thursday, April 28, 2016 2:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Arcom

See the graphic below

If I don't enter a product key I get all four of these options

When I choose the top option I get this installed. (this is from the eval version not the msdn version)

So - it is working for me as before.

Yours

Ed

Please mark this as an answer if it was helpful

Thursday, April 28, 2016 2:17 PM
  • Hi,

If you enter a product key you should get two options for the edition that matches the key, e.g. Windows Server 2016 Standard Technical Preview 5 and Windows Server 2016 Standard Technical Preview 5 (Desktop Experience).

If you select the option with (Desktop Experience) that installs the full GUI shell. The other option is for Server Core.

If you aren't seeing that, can you please reply with the link you downloaded from and the file name for the iso you are installing from?

Thanks,

Andrew

Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:46 PM
  • Silly me, I accidentally downloaded the Windows Server 2016 Essentials Technical Preview!

Apologies!

Friday, April 29, 2016 8:57 AM
  • I can install either Core or Full, but I noticed that I cannot switch between the two.

In Powershell:

Get-WindowsFeature *gui*

This command returns null.  Are users no longer able to switch between the server GUI modes?

Friday, June 24, 2016 6:30 PM
  • "Are users no longer able to switch between the server GUI modes?"

Correct, that option was removed.  It has been discussed in this forum and on user voice.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Friday, June 24, 2016 7:41 PM
  • Option is removed thats fine, But How can i convert 2016 Standard core to GUI???

Please Help

Friday, March 24, 2017 6:53 AM
  • "Option is removed thats fine, But How can i convert 2016 Standard core to GUI???"

Re-install.

tim

Friday, March 24, 2017 11:58 AM
  • Tim is right, You will need to re-install that server.
    Friday, March 24, 2017 3:56 PM