none
is there an attribute to identify the replacement of a resource/assignment RRS feed

• Question

• We have VBA code that analyzes resource assignment start/finish dates in relation to the task start/finish dates and flag instances where the dates aren't consistent i.e. the resource assignment doesn't start work until after the task start date or the work finishes prior to the task finish date.

Since replacing one resource with another creates both conditions described above subsequently resulting in "false positives" where the 'error' condition exists simply due to the replacement.

Is anyone aware of an assignment field attribute that would identify that an assignment is the result of a resource being replaced?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Dan

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 4:15 PM

Answers

• Dan,

Okay....not sure your process will tell you much about poor resource allocation but to answer your original question, no, there is no attribute that directly identifies resource replacement.

Here is a suggestion. Copy the Resource Names field to an extra Text field (e.g. Text30). When you run your procedure to identify differences in task and resource assignment dates, you can use the information in the Text field to tell whether the current resource assignment have changed.

Sometimes the indirect approach is the only option. Always be readu to "think outside the bun".

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by dfeigen115 Thursday, January 23, 2020 1:21 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 8:33 PM

All replies

• Dan,

You state that, "replacing one resource with another created both conditions". No, not necessarily. When I do a resource replacement (e.g. the replacement resource has a different resource calendar), the task start date simply moves in accordance with the new assignment. If the original resource had actuals, then attempting a replacement raises an alert. Please provide an example of your replacement process.

But regardless, let's say the condition occurs (i.e. assignment start/finish does not equal task start/finish) as a result of a resource replacement, why is that a "false" positive?

John

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 5:14 PM
  • Hi John,

True there are instances where the replacement doesn't create the condition i.e. if the replacement happens prior to the task actually starting or as you noted there's a resource calendar involved.  

Most of our replacements occur after the task has started and the original resource becomes unavailable and is subsequently replaced, which results in the assignment finish date for the original resource being earlier than the task finish date and the start date of the replacement resource being after the start date of the task.

As to why the "false" positive? What we're really looking for is poor resource allocations. we're not concerned with the condition that results from normal processing such as adding assignments after a task has started or in this case the replacement of resources/assignments. It's more to do with identifying potential issues in the scheduling of the resource assignments. 

I hope this clarifies what I'm trying to identify.

Dan

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 5:47 PM
  • Dan,

Okay....not sure your process will tell you much about poor resource allocation but to answer your original question, no, there is no attribute that directly identifies resource replacement.

Here is a suggestion. Copy the Resource Names field to an extra Text field (e.g. Text30). When you run your procedure to identify differences in task and resource assignment dates, you can use the information in the Text field to tell whether the current resource assignment have changed.

Sometimes the indirect approach is the only option. Always be readu to "think outside the bun".

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by dfeigen115 Thursday, January 23, 2020 1:21 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2020 8:33 PM
  • John, thanks for the"food for thought". I hate it when I get the answer that I expected, but love the work arounds that accompany the answers.

thanks again,

Dan

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 8:49 PM
  • Dan,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. If I answered your question, please consider marking one of my responses as the answer.

John

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 9:37 PM