ISO: Issues that users or admins face after being transitioned from BPOS to Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been asked to find out what types of "got-chas" a site should expect after MS transitions a BPOS site to Office 365.  I looked through the Office 365 welcome message kit and didn't really see anything that seemed to talk about that.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:41 AM

All replies

• Not a lot of replies so far. I have read in the FAQs from microsoft about some issues with some web parts. In our specific case, staff are wondering what, if any, BPOS customizations within their SharePoint 2007 sites will not carry over to Office 365.
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:29 PM
  • This doc will help you prepare for the transition and indicates the web parts that are removed in SharePoint 2010: BPOS to Office 365
    Transition Guide for enterprises

As for Gotcha's ... it primarily has to do with what is NOT transferred over from BPOS.  As long as you don't have any customized applications/authentication in BPOS, everything will work great once you get to O365.

Things not transferred over (should be covered in the doc):
    - Transport Rules
    - Custom policies (BES/ActiveSync/Retention/etc)
    - Unverified domains
    - Service Requests

All of the basic user management can be done via the new portal, but a lot of the more advanced features, such as retention policies, need to be configured via PowerShell.  Depending on your SKU you have access to different features.

Lync is pretty simple to configure and SharePoint is exactly the same as BPOS for the transitioned site collections.

Read the doc, a LOT of work was done puting that together.

Have a great day,

Dan

www.insecurityinc.info

Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:12 PM