forgoten my bitlocker password RRS feed

• Question

• hi, I forgot my bitlocker password. I only have key id. Please help

Thursday, October 8, 2015 6:10 PM

Answers

• Hi palo27,

Have you backup the recovery key to the external device?

When we enable the bitlocker, we will be given the chance to backup the recovery key to external device. We could use the recovery key to get into the bitlocker if we have forgotten the password.

If you have forgotten the recovery key, I am afraid we will lose the data forever.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 12, 2015 6:50 AM

All replies

• If you forgot your bitlocker password, there is no way to recover it.

You may check OneDrive just in case you might back up it there.

Thursday, October 8, 2015 7:14 PM
  • Hi palo27,

Have you backup the recovery key to the external device?

When we enable the bitlocker, we will be given the chance to backup the recovery key to external device. We could use the recovery key to get into the bitlocker if we have forgotten the password.

If you have forgotten the recovery key, I am afraid we will lose the data forever.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 12, 2015 6:50 AM
  • I am surprised to see answers like "If you forgot your bitlocker password, there is no way to recover it." - when we don't even know what protectors he uses or if he has encrypted the whole drive or maybe just a data partition.

By default, bitlocker is prone to cold boot attacks, so we ourselves may use one to reclaim our data. Surely, this is expert's work, but it should be mentioned at least. Also there could be backups that might hold crash dump files. As you might not be aware of: if we choose to dump all the used memory, then we may extract the key from a crash dump using software.

Also, we are not "given the chance to backup the recovery key", but we have to, it's mandatory, it will be backed up. Palo, try to remember who encrypted that drive.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 10:06 PM