MICROSOFT TOUCH PACK (WIN 7) ISSUES RRS feed

• Question

• With Windows 7 Professional on my HP touchsmart - MS Surface Globe errors & request uninstall ; however, there is no replacable download on the site.  All other Touch Pack programs work fine... tried to reinstall Bing Maps 3D as the program requests (Maps now works fine through the Bing website but not through the touchpack program)!!! : Z please help!!!
    Friday, January 15, 2010 10:16 PM

Answers

• Hello,

The “Touch Pack” applications are provided and supported only through the OEM or vendor from which you bought the computer. We are not able to assist you with these OEM released applications. Please contact them directly for support of the “Touch Pack” and included OEM applications.

Chris Wojahn

Microsoft Surface Solutions & Support

Escalation Engineer, Critical Problem Resolution

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. © 2010 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 8:54 PM
  • Finally!

(Real) solution for the problem, microsoft have published the installer for download form their web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=b152fadd-82e4-4ddb-a46a-aebe49944428

I guess now you can uninstall and try to install this version to get it working (hopefully - didnt try it yet).

Good luck!

And, mark this as a solution if it helped since the other post marked as a solution is just not (there's an understatement:) ).

Shai.

Saturday, September 25, 2010 5:04 PM

All replies

• Hello -

Can you please try running the Touch Pack setup again (through Programs->Programs and Features->Uninstall or Change a Program), and re-add the Globe application? We are not aware of any issues with the application as you describe. 

Thank you -
    April Reagan
    Program Manager, Microsoft Surface
    AprilR
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:28 PM
  • Hey April,

Thank for responding!  Unfortunately I tried what you suggested with no change in outcome.  After I unistall the Globe feature from MSTouchpack the program asks me to reinstall MS Virtual Earth3D which I did; then reinstall Surface Globe - after I do, the program still dosent work.  Just gives error message within program window asking me to try uninstalling Bing Maps (which of course at this point I've done multiple times)... scared to unistall entire Touchpack software for fear of no installation software availible - PLEASE HELP!

-Antonio
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:47 AM
  • Antonio,

Try to go to Bing Maps (http://www.bing.com/maps/) and in the upper left hand corner click 3D and see if it asks you to install or if it pops into the mapping site.  It if asks to install allow it to do so.  Then see if that fixes the issue.

If it doesn't here are a couple other questions.
    1) Are you running on a 64 Bit platform?
    2) When you go to control panel--Uninstall Programs-Bing Maps 3D  down a the bottom there should be a product version listed can you get that for us too?
    3)  You say MS Surface Globe errors & request uninstall.  What exactly are the globe errors?

Sorry for your inconvenience.

Jeff Johnson
    Test Lead Microsoft Surface
    • Proposed as answer by Ben Tousey Monday, February 15, 2010 5:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ben Tousey Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:20 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by chessgame Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:20 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 6:46 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

I gave the first step a shot & Bing Maps 3D does load & work from the website (really cool); however, still does not work from within MS Surface Globe unfortunately.

I am running on a 64 Bit platform; Bing Maps Product Version 4.0.903.16005; MS Touch Pack for Windows 7 Version 1.0.40517.00

The exact error that I get from MS Surface Globe is:

Bing maps 3D is damaged and may not work properly. Removing and then installing it again may help.
    To remove Bing Maps 3D
    -In Windows Vista, open Control Panel, and then click Uninstall a program under Programs.
    -In Windows XP, open Control Panel, and then open Add or Remove Programs.

I have Windows 7 and have removed Bing Maps 3D and reinstalled as suggested by April but no diffrence in operation.

Thank you for your support!!!
    -Antonio
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:38 PM
  • Antonio, Did you ever solve this issue?  I am having the exact same problem.  Thanks!

Nick
    Monday, February 22, 2010 10:58 PM
  • hi, I am having the exact samp problem! did you manage to solve it? why isn't the touch Pack download available?! Using Fujitsu t900 Win7 64 bit ultimate, error goes like:
    virtual earth 3D is damaged and may not work properly. try to reinstall...
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 2:37 AM
  • hi, I am having the exact samp problem! did you manage to solve it? why isn't the touch Pack download available?! Using Fujitsu t900 Win7 64 bit ultimate, error goes like:
    virtual earth 3D is damaged and may not work properly. try to reinstall...

I can offer live meeting if your guys want to debug this issue. . . .really want to get it to work, my wife has a similar multi touch tablet and it works perfect there!
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 2:53 AM
  • Sorry you guys!  I havent heard back from MS since my last post & havent figured it out on my own.  In the meantime ...if you have a decent video card and processor the MS World Wide Telescope is really really rockin!!!  It dosent zoom into say ...Americas building landscape or anything but it does a whole bunch else all around the universe dang near - really cool! When I do find a solution Ill be sure to get back.

-Antonio
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 3:56 AM
  • I have just received my Fujitsu T900 with Win7 64Bit and have the same error as everyone else.  The error says the suface globe application is corrupted but I don't see any touchpack from Fujitsu to try to reload it. 

Has anyone had any luck as of yet?
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:12 AM
  • Hello,

The “Touch Pack” applications are provided and supported only through the OEM or vendor from which you bought the computer. We are not able to assist you with these OEM released applications. Please contact them directly for support of the “Touch Pack” and included OEM applications.

Chris Wojahn

Microsoft Surface Solutions & Support

Escalation Engineer, Critical Problem Resolution

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. © 2010 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 8:54 PM
  • Eh, really Chris? ...well that blows!  Why dont you wise guys at MS create a downloadable patch to fix the software glitch multiple users are having?

-Antonio

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 2:04 AM
  • I must agree with chessgame here...

Anyway, if this software is provided free of charge - why not have the installer online, after a genuine validation?

But ok, say it is a licensing issue or what ever - why not at least post a fix or "repair" tool?

The vendors a useless here, both HP and Fujitsu only has 1 thing to offer: "restore to original OS and hope for the best".

Let me save you the trouble, in Fujitsu after 3 restorations the globe still does not work in the t900. It works perfect on my t4100 tablet though...

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 8:42 PM
  • If this is a microsoft product then why do you not give support for it regardless if OEM or not as am assuming exactly same if have OEM version or the files offered on website ?

So if they are exactly same files then as a microsoft product then you should offer support as it comes with OS and I assume you get paid for the OS regardless if OEM or not.

I have had my pc for about 6 weeks now and am also having issues regarding the globe (different issues to above as I am unable to type anything into the search input box but was able to 6 weeks ago but no longer can)

Perhaps it is one of your 'updates' that has caused the issue in which case you should fix the problems with the globe

You are the Tech guys ... not us so can you be 100% certain it was not caused by a windows 7 update ?

either way .. it is microsoft product so should be supported by microsoft

Saturday, June 12, 2010 4:22 PM
  • I agree - it is a microsoft product and should be supported... strange that no one offers support for it - not even the vendor (fujitsu in my case) all they have to say is "restore your computer to factory"...

Now i have a lenovo tablet, it also comes with the touch pack - but suprise! No globe!

I don't understand, why I have all the other touch pack programs but no globe... I guess there is no option for me to add the globe to my lenovo as it is OEM only, right?

Frastrating... i don't know what is better - to have it not working, or not to have it at all... :)

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:36 PM
  • Kind of odd and funny, it comes in a product called 'Microsoft Touch Pack for Windows 7', the software is called 'Microsoft Surface Globe', and the 'Bing Maps 3D' is a product you can download from the Microsoft website:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e9298080-50c4-4f2e-9fc4-4009074996ba&displaylang=en

I uninstalled Bing Maps 3D and reinstalled the version supplied by Microsoft in the Microsoft.com website, and when I try to install it gives me an error message. Trying to use Microsoft Surface Globe redirects me into that page to download and install the latest version, saying 'No' to upgrade just closes the program, doesn't lets you use it with the old version.

I run the Bing Maps 3D setup, and it downloads the setup program and when it starts to install, a pop up appears saying: 'Sorry the setup program couldn't install Bing Maps 3D'. And that's it, pressing OK closes the install.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) in an Acer Aspire Z5600.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:08 AM
  • Eh, really Chris? ...well that blows!  Why dont you wise guys at MS create a downloadable patch to fix the software glitch multiple users are having?

-Antonio

chessgame , Did you ever solve this problem? I too have a HP tablet (HP TouchSmart tx2-1015ea) and I went through the various stages of not being able to install this pack.

having uninstalled Virtual Earth/Bing3-D maps, downloaded XNa framework version 3 directly from Microsoft's website instead of relying on the version bundled with this pack I have been able to successfully install only three applications in this pack,+ bing 3-D maps. they are Microsoft Blackboard, Garden Pond, Rebound,

When I try to include the remaining three, Microsoft Surface Globe, Microsoft Surface Collage, Microsoft Surface Lagoon bring up the following exclamation error below,

"there is a problem with this Windows installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel are package vendor"

I don't think this is a coincidence that these three components are all to do with Microsoft surface so it might be that HP's own smart touch software is interfering somehow? or that blinged 3-D maps is the program mentioned in the error message that did not finish as expected? Anyway that's my own theory so I'm open to any suggestions as to how to get this problem solved.

I am in fact running Windows 7, 64 bit ultimate, given other softwares incompatibility with 64-bit environments could it be that this touch Pack was never meant for this environment as there aren't two versions, 32-bit & 64-bit executables but just the one? It might be worth doing a poll to see which version of the OS people are running and whether they were successful or not, what do you think?

Ironically Personally I only wanted to install Microsoft Garden Pond and Microsoft Surface Lagoon, as Microsoft Surface Collage replicates HP's alone photo smarttouch programme and the rest of the other apps I could take or leave.

Any comments or suggestions much appreciated, especially from those who have successfully got past my specific error message mentioned above, Thank you

Monday, August 9, 2010 1:23 PM
  • Funny thing is... this thread is marked as "answered" based on Chris's answer...

LOL

Which means, no one from MS will ever look in here again since it is not flagged for them as unanswered.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Funny thing is... this thread is marked as "answered" based on Chris's answer...

LOL

Which means, no one from MS will ever look in here again since it is not flagged for them as unanswered.

cheerz for the heads up, i'll start a new tHread.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:54 PM
  • Yeah, Chris marked it as an answer himself; unfortunately, I never resolved this issue and MS never offered anymore advice or solution.  Ive just begun participating in a feedback survey - perhaps this will provide an additional avenue for discussion re this issue.  Sorry I couldnt help guys BELIEVE ME I tried.

-Antonio

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:57 PM
  • I have exact same problem with Fujitsu Lifebook... Anyone ever figure out a fix???

If MS wants to be a player in the touch screen market, they should begin to support apps that actually use the touch screen.

Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:30 PM
  • Finally!

(Real) solution for the problem, microsoft have published the installer for download form their web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=b152fadd-82e4-4ddb-a46a-aebe49944428

I guess now you can uninstall and try to install this version to get it working (hopefully - didnt try it yet).

Good luck!

And, mark this as a solution if it helped since the other post marked as a solution is just not (there's an understatement:) ).

Shai.

Saturday, September 25, 2010 5:04 PM
  • Finally!

Good luck!

Shai.

does this work???
    Monday, December 20, 2010 1:43 AM