none
MS Project 2013 Visual Reports Error RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Microsoft,

When generating a Visual Report in MS Project Standard 2013, I get the following error message:
    "An unknown error has occurred. An error occurred and the requested action could not be completed at this time."

I have included a screenshot illustrating the error message.

This error shows up when Project is busy with "Building local OLAP cubes..." after I click the "view" button in the "Visual Report - Create Report" wizard.
    It shows up for every type of report I try to make.

Before this error, MS Project would complain that Excel from 2003 or later was not installed.
    I copied over the EXCEL.EXE to the folder containing WINPROJ.EXE, and that fixed that issue.

I tried to reinstall MS Project twice, but it did not resolve the issue.
    MS Project is installed locally on a company laptop. A coworker has the same laptop and he does not have the same issue.
    We are both running Windows 10. I am sure that all the latest OS and MS Project updates have been installed.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks in advance.

With kind regards,

Ömer Yildiz

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 1:17 PM

Answers

• I have solved the issue thanks to Micheal and Jon.

I ended up deleting "Office 365 ProPlus" and installing "MS Office with Access 2016", because I did not have the option of reinstalling Office 365 ProPlus.

I think the problem could have been one of 3 things:
    1. It could have been that installing MS Project 2013 after installing Office, MS Project could not identify Excel. By reinstalling Office MS Project identified Excel and is thus            able to make Visual Reports.
    2. It could have been a compatibility issue between MS Project 2013 and the latest update of Office 365 ProPlus. I did not reinstall the Office 365 pro plus, but I installed MS          Office with Access 2016 which includes Excel 2016. I did not have the option to install Office 365 ProPlus.
    3. It could have been a combination of number 1 and 2. MS Project 2013 will only interface with Excel 2016 if it is installed after MS Project is installed.

To anyone with the same problem that I had, I recommend that you try first try to repair Office by following the steps given here:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/repair-an-office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b

If repairing does not work, reinstall Office.

With kind regards,

Ömer Yildiz

• Marked as answer by Omer__ Thursday, July 25, 2019 12:30 PM
    Thursday, July 25, 2019 12:30 PM

All replies

• What version of Excel are you running.  Remove any of the older versions of office that may be on workstation.  Then do a repair or reinstall office.  The repair or reinstall makes sure that Excel is at the top of the list for default Excel program.

Michael Wharton, Project MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com <br/> Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 2:54 PM
  • Hello Micheal,

Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus is installed. I have the latest version of Excel installed (Version 1808).
    No older versions of office apps are installed on this workstation as it is a new device.

Could it be a compatibility issue between Project 2013 and the latest version of Excel?

I think I can reinstall office, but I would like to hold off on it as it could take a while to get it done (slow IT department).
    Repairing may be an option. What steps would you recommend to repair office?

With kind regards,

Ömer Yildiz

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 3:17 PM
  • Hello Omer,

It seems like compatibility to me, Project 2013 vs Excel 2019 quite identical maybe. Even I faced a similar issue after completing the Office 365 Migration from exchange. To repair the office you can refer the below article where you can find multiple ways according to the OS version.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/repair-an-office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:11 PM
  • Hello Jon,

Repairing Office365 did not resolve my issue.
    I have submitted a support ticket to the IT department of the company, and I will try to reinstall Office365 completely.

Are there any other things I can try in the mean time?

With kind regards,

Ömer Yildiz

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:36 AM
  • I have solved the issue thanks to Micheal and Jon.

I ended up deleting "Office 365 ProPlus" and installing "MS Office with Access 2016", because I did not have the option of reinstalling Office 365 ProPlus.

I think the problem could have been one of 3 things:
    1. It could have been that installing MS Project 2013 after installing Office, MS Project could not identify Excel. By reinstalling Office MS Project identified Excel and is thus            able to make Visual Reports.
    2. It could have been a compatibility issue between MS Project 2013 and the latest update of Office 365 ProPlus. I did not reinstall the Office 365 pro plus, but I installed MS          Office with Access 2016 which includes Excel 2016. I did not have the option to install Office 365 ProPlus.
    3. It could have been a combination of number 1 and 2. MS Project 2013 will only interface with Excel 2016 if it is installed after MS Project is installed.

To anyone with the same problem that I had, I recommend that you try first try to repair Office by following the steps given here:

If repairing does not work, reinstall Office.

With kind regards,

Ömer Yildiz

• Marked as answer by Omer__ Thursday, July 25, 2019 12:30 PM
    Thursday, July 25, 2019 12:30 PM