none
Always Encrypted Error RRS feed

• Question

• Getting the below error while trying to implement the Always encrypted on Azure Managed instance. 

Any help is appreciated.

Error:  SQL46005: Expected FILESTREAM but encountered ENCRYPTED instead.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Balan

Please convey from where or using what method you are trying to implement Always Encrypted. Any steps provided will be helpful in troubleshooting it further.

Thanks
    Navtej S

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:24 PM
  • I have created the Always Encrypted Keys(Master key and column Encrypted Key) successfully in Azure Key vault. 

Using the Key's from Azure key vault, I am trying to Encrypt the Data using Encrypt Column Wizard and below the error in the final step.

Tried both deterministic and randomized method and got the same error.

[Informational] WorkitemExecution: Message:Work item 'Performing encryption operations' stopped..

[Error] WorkitemExecution: Message:Work item 'Performing encryption operations' did not complete. Details: Add or update objects failed due to the following errors: 
    Error SQL46005: Expected FILESTREAM but encountered ENCRYPTED instead.

[Informational] Log Closed: Message:Job processing completed.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:33 PM
  • Please Note:

I am using SQL server Management studio v17.8.1

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:38 PM
  • Encrypted software can be installed by/open cmd/type: services.msc in msc,scroll to Encryted service/double click,set to Auto start,start service,exit,maybe scroll to Windows Installer,do same,as with Windows Modules,edit others as needed.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:44 PM
  • Please Note:

I am using SQL server Management studio v17.8.1

Hi Balan

This is an issue with the SSMS version you are using .The above issue has been fixed in SSMS versions greater than 18.0 and above.

Hope this helps. 

Thanks
    Navtej S

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:09 PM
  • ok, Let me try with newer version of SSMS and get back. Thanks !!
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:33 PM
  • Thanks Navtej S !!

I have installed the V18.4 and Its worked now. Thanks for your timely help !!

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:09 PM
  • Hi Balan

Glad that it worked for you. I have proposed my reply as an answer. Please mark it as answer so that other can get help from the same.

Thanks
    Navtej S

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 10:44 PM