Windows 7 & LT2P Client Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a customer who requires a remote access VPN solution without the use of the Check Point VPN client and so it has been decided that the in built L2TP client should be used.

I didn't have too much trouble setting this up at the Check Point gateway (running R65 HFA_70).

This solution worked immediately for an XP client and Mac Snow Leopard client it works whether I choose "Allow these protocols [PAP, SPAP, CHAP, MSCHAP]" or whether I choose "Use EAP" with MD5 either way I'm able to authenticate my test user without any problems.

Windows 7 on the other hand, doesnt seem to want to cooperate; the same settings just dont seem to allow the authentication to complete - there is no option for MD5 with EAP. So as an alternative I've generated a p12 certificate for my test user and selected EAP with "smart card or other certificate" and installed the generated certificate on my test win7  laptop. This gets me further and I appear to authenticate ok but from then basic routing seems to fail and I'm not able to reach the destinations configured in the remote access VPN rule.

I've trawled the 'net for answers but to no avail. So if anyone has any ideas of where this is failing I'd greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks, Anish.
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:43 AM