none
SCCM Primary vs Site Server disconnect RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Primary site server in DC1. In DC2 we have a site server with DP and MP role.

Also, we have SQL always on, one SQL in DC1 (Primary) and one in DC2.

The network team is doing some testing, in case they disconnect the connection between 2 DCs. What will be the impact in terms of SCCM capabilities?

Friday, October 18, 2019 1:46 AM

All replies

• Hello KKarun,

Thanks for posting in TechNet.

Assuming that your site system server in DC2 still could contact SQL successfully, the situation you said is equivalent to that the site server (in DC1) is not operational for MP/DP and clients in DC2. Under this circumstance, we are unable to deploy new content to clients in DC2, however, users can run existing deployments and clients can download content from distribution points, the MP in DC2 can collect client information and caches it until the site server in DC1 is back online. Refer to the following link.

Site failure impacts in Configuration Manager

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remembers to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 18, 2019 6:27 AM
  • First, "In DC2 we have a site server with DP and MP role" is incorrect. Based on you description, this is a site system not a site server. A "site server" explicitly defines a new ConfigMgr site -- you can't have a site without a site server and you can't have a site server without a site. Additional systems that are part of the same site and host site roles are "site systems".

Next, you should not place an MP at a location remote from the site's DB. MPs require good connectivity to the site server and site DB so the design choice here is poor.

Finally, the outcome with any outage totally depends on the exact nature of the outage; however, there is no magic here because a complete connectivity interruption means that the clients will be affected. What functionality is affected depends on what exactly you're expecting them to do. Things like CMPivot, client notification, remote control, client push won't work. New deployments win't work either. Existing deployments may work if the client has already cached the content. There simply isn't really a comprehensive list here but having any true expectation of ConfigMgr capabilities to a location that is disconnected will lead to disappointment and should not in any way be counted on until the outage is resolved. And no, there's no way to magically overcome this as a basic design principal generally assumes connectivity just like almost all other major enterprise applications that involve client communication and data interchange.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Friday, October 18, 2019 11:59 AM
  • Hello KKarun,

I noticed that you have not updated for several days. May I know that if your issue is solved or if there is any update? Feel free to feedback. 

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remembers to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 2:31 AM
  • Hi Jason

"you should not place an MP at a location remote from the site's DB. MPs require good connectivity to the site server and site DB so the design choice here is poor"

What does it mean? we have Primary with a remote SQL. Primary has a MP role and then the other site system in DC2 has a MP role.

What do you advice as a best practice?

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 3:10 AM
  • It means exactly what it says and this has nothing to do with fictional best practices -- it has to do with how the product was designed to work and that bad things happen when you go against that design like placing a site system with the MP role remote, across a WAN link, from the site server and DB.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 12:59 PM
  • My question is if my Primary is in DC1 which is a MP and then another site system in DC2 which is another MP. We have DP in both location.

I have added DC2 MP for couple of sites as preferred MP, now only site system which is MP will be down. How will it hamper my functionality?

will clients in other locations fallback to Primary MP? if yes, then do you think it will hamper any functionality?

• Edited by KKarun Thursday, October 24, 2019 4:27 AM
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 4:23 AM
  • Same answer. MPs are not designed to be remote from the database and the primary site server. So even if nothing is down, you will experience issues; i.e., you shouldn't do this at all.

Yes, clients will always fallback to alternate MPs if they have connectivity as MP affinity and preferences are just that, preferences, not absolute assignments.

But, once again, having an MP remote from the site server is a poor design choice.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 2:44 PM
  • To clarify here, remote in my comments above means at a remote location, separated by any type of WAN link. I am not in any way implying that the MP role should be co-located on the same system as the primary site server, just in close proximity, network-wise, with the DB and primary site server.

Friday, October 25, 2019 12:38 PM
  • thank you Jason. appreciate your help. sorry for the confusion i have DB and Primary with MP in same subnets.

MP for failover is in DC2 and in a different subnet. i use this MP for few sites, is it advisable? or should i point all 5000 devices to MP in Primary.

Monday, October 28, 2019 4:39 AM
  • What is DC1 and DC2? Using unknown acronyms doesn't help here.

But, once again, same answer, using an MP that is remote, across a WAN link, is a poor choice. Unless you've setup HA for your site server, then having this remote MP does not provide any site resilience based HA.

Monday, October 28, 2019 6:33 PM
  • MP is in Primary so this is fine.

But as per your comments, the MP in another data center which is on different subnet and is used for HA is not a good option. 

Should i just use MP in Primary for all sites for 4000 clients?

Monday, October 28, 2019 10:41 PM
  • I always recommend and design for at least two site systems hosting the MP; both should be in close proximity to the site server and DB.

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 4:44 AM