Fail in executing MASTERDATABASESERVICES.MSI RRS feed

• Question

• When I click MASTERDATABASESERVICES.MSI, I got the following dialog:

:Watson 1:1304 2:StreamSupportFiles

3:streamBinaryToDisk 4.5

5:e:\sql11_man_t\sql\setup\darwin\sqlcastub\streamca.cpp

6:239 7:sqlcastub.dll 8:sqlrun.msi

After I click OK, I got the followng error:

Error writing to file: Access is denied.

Verify that you have access to that directory.

The problem is that I do not know which directory for the trouble shooting.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:25 PM

All replies

• It worked after I ran it as an administrator.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:07 PM
  • Well, I think in DENALI you should install Master Data Services as one component of a SQL Server instance. So, not use directly the .msi, but the SQL Server installation tool, and select Master Data Services.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Yes, you should use SQL Setup (Setup.exe) to install MDS in Denali.

I will check to see if the MDS product group knows that launching the msi still runs something - it might cause problems if it is not run from Setup itself since prerequisites may not be enforced, and patches may not install as expected.

Thanks, Jason

Didn't get enough help here? Submit a case with the Microsoft Customer Support team for deeper investigation - http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:18 AM
  • Confirmed - everyone should indeed run Setup.exe and not launch the MDS .msi directly in SQL Server 2012 (Denali). It is not supposed in SQL 2012 to do so. Any problems found will not be supported for that approach.

In SQL 2008 the MDS .msi was fine to run by itself because it was shipped as a standalone download.

Thanks, Jason

Didn't get enough help here? Submit a case with the Microsoft Customer Support team for deeper investigation - http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance
    Friday, January 27, 2012 5:48 AM