none
Active/Active scenario SQL Database over different locations RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I am checking the documentation of Microsoft, and even got to MS Azure Support on twitter, but we couldn't find a solution for my guestion.

What I would like to have is 3 different App Services with a Traffic Manager. Each App Service has it's own database, but the data must be shared with all three App Services, because it is going to be a 24/7 service.

I would like to use SQL Database for it, but it doesn't seem that it is possible to have an active/active/active scenario with SQL Database, or is it?

Thanks in advance,

André

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Andre,

Thanks for you feedback. I believe you are looking for Multi-Master Cosmos DB.

Multi-master in Azure Cosmos DB provides high levels of availability (99.999%), single-digit millisecond latency to write data and scalability with built-in comprehensive and flexible conflict resolution support.

Multi-master is composed of multiple master regions that equally participate in a write-anywhere model (active-active pattern) and it is used to ensure that data is available at any time where you need it. Updates made to an individual region are asynchronously propagated to all other regions (which in turn are master regions in their own). Azure Cosmos DB regions operating as master regions in a multi-master configuration automatically work to converge the data of all replicas and ensure global consistency and data integrity.

Azure Cosmos DB implements the logic for handling conflicting writes inside the database engine itself. Azure Cosmos DB offers comprehensive and flexible conflict resolution support by offering several conflict resolution models, including Automatic (CRDT- conflict-free replicated data types), Last Write Wins (LWW), and Custom (Stored Procedure) for automatic conflict resolution. The conflict resolution models provide correctness and consistency guarantees and remove the burden from developers to have to think about consistency, availability, performance, replication latency, and complex combinations of events under geo-failovers and cross-region write conflicts.

How to configure Multi Master in Cosmos DB

Hope this helps.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 6:16 AM

All replies

• Andre

Have you looked into 

Active Geo-replication in detail

https://azure.microsoft.com/es-es/blog/spotlight-on-sql-database-active-geo-replication/

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Thursday, July 18, 2019 3:51 AM
  • Uri, 

this is with secondaries not with Primaries on different datacenters. 

André

Thursday, July 18, 2019 5:57 AM
  • Hi Andre,

Thanks for you feedback. I believe you are looking for Multi-Master Cosmos DB.

Multi-master in Azure Cosmos DB provides high levels of availability (99.999%), single-digit millisecond latency to write data and scalability with built-in comprehensive and flexible conflict resolution support.

Multi-master is composed of multiple master regions that equally participate in a write-anywhere model (active-active pattern) and it is used to ensure that data is available at any time where you need it. Updates made to an individual region are asynchronously propagated to all other regions (which in turn are master regions in their own). Azure Cosmos DB regions operating as master regions in a multi-master configuration automatically work to converge the data of all replicas and ensure global consistency and data integrity.

Azure Cosmos DB implements the logic for handling conflicting writes inside the database engine itself. Azure Cosmos DB offers comprehensive and flexible conflict resolution support by offering several conflict resolution models, including Automatic (CRDT- conflict-free replicated data types), Last Write Wins (LWW), and Custom (Stored Procedure) for automatic conflict resolution. The conflict resolution models provide correctness and consistency guarantees and remove the burden from developers to have to think about consistency, availability, performance, replication latency, and complex combinations of events under geo-failovers and cross-region write conflicts.

How to configure Multi Master in Cosmos DB

Hope this helps.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 6:16 AM
  • Active active (multi master ) option is not available for SQL Azure . Cosmos db may  be the right solution for you 

Thanks, Nithin

Thursday, July 18, 2019 6:17 AM
  • Thanks, much appreciated for the answer. I think this is the only way indeed.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 10:07 AM