none
runbook execution time RRS feed

• Question

• If I have a runbook which has a monitor activity (runs at 2:00 am) then link to check schedule activity then some invoke runbook activities.

One of the invoke run book activity depending another runbook, also for some reason we have to let the child runbook to run at 4:00 am.

So there is not only a execute order dependency but also a time restriction for the child runbook.

How can I arrange this?

Thanks,

• Edited by msloy Wednesday, August 28, 2019 3:49 AM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:05 PM

Answers

• If you don't have any parameters from RB1 don't send them. 

Just test if you can remove the Initialize Data activity in RB2 if you think it's not needed and give it a try to invoke RB2 from RB1 ;-)

Andreas Baumgarten

• Marked as answer by msloy Thursday, August 15, 2019 6:07 PM
    Thursday, August 15, 2019 6:05 PM

All replies

• You really like "dependencies"? ;-)

Here we go:

Runbook1:

Schedule:

Runbook2 (invoked by Runbook 1, scheduler at 2:00AM (I choosed 2:00AM instead of 4:00AM), looping the Check Schedule activity until scheduled time is reached)

Hope this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:38 PM
  • Thank you! Yes, I do like dependencies. We have complicated tasks need that. And originally we are using Enterprise scheduling program BMC-Control_M which handles dependencies well. But now for some reason we want to replace it with OR.  We have a bunch of jobs that need to schedule to run nightly and automatically.

In the example above, is the first runbook not scheduled?  Do you have to add a monitor and check schedule activity in order for them to automatically run?

Thanks

Thursday, August 15, 2019 5:32 PM
  • Exactly, the first Runbook isn't scheduled.

And yes, you have to replace the Initialize Data activity with a Monitor and Check Schedule activity in the first Runbook. 

Andreas Baumgarten

Thursday, August 15, 2019 5:55 PM
  • Thank you.

For the second runbook, If I did not need to pass any parameter from runbook1, can I remove initialize data and start with Check schedule activity in runbook2?

Also It seems I cannot use monitor activity in runbook 2 as the first activity.

Thanks,

Thursday, August 15, 2019 6:00 PM
  • If you don't have any parameters from RB1 don't send them. 

Just test if you can remove the Initialize Data activity in RB2 if you think it's not needed and give it a try to invoke RB2 from RB1 ;-)

Andreas Baumgarten

• Marked as answer by msloy Thursday, August 15, 2019 6:07 PM
    Thursday, August 15, 2019 6:05 PM