none
Workflow cancelled http 401 error RRS feed

• Question

• I uncovered a situation where a custom designer workflow was being cancelled due to http 401 error. It turns out that the person who made the list item was not listed in the Members group.  However, when I did a Check Permissions on the list with that person's name they are shown as having Contribute permissions by virtue of being in the Member's group.  I don't understand this contradiction and I don't understand how the person could even have made the list item without being in the Members group.

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.

Monday, July 13, 2020 10:16 PM

All replies

• Hi run4it,

If user has contribute permission, the user will has permission to create list item.

By default, user will require at least contribute permissions to create items in a list and workflow will be initiated.

For your workflow, refer to the following articles to troubleshoot the issue:

http://aurramu.blogspot.com/2017/12/sharepoint-2013-workflow-got-cancelled.html

https://pascalonthejazz.wordpress.com/2017/01/26/permissions-required-to-start-a-sharepoint-designer-workflow/

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

"SharePoint" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 7:03 AM
  • Thank Lisa.  I will read the links.  What I'd like to understand first is how these users can even create the list item if they are not in the Members group?  And why the check permissions says they ARE in the Members group. The Members group does have permission to the Workflow History list.

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.

• Edited by run4it Tuesday, July 14, 2020 3:54 PM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2020 3:51 PM
  • Hi run4it, 

Do you mean that when you check permission for the user, they are in the Members group, but you cannot find users from the Members group?

Does everyone exists in Members group? Please offer a screenshot about it. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Friday, July 17, 2020 9:24 AM
  • Lisa - yes, exactly.  When I check permissions it says they are in the Members group.  But when I visually inspect the Members group, they are not in it.  How are they able to create list items if they are not in the Members group?  once I put them in the workflow is not cancelled for them (the workflow updates a list field) among other things.

Friday, July 17, 2020 3:14 PM
  • Hi run4it, 

Please offer a screenshot about when you check the permission for the user.

Please offer another screenshot about Members group. 

Does "everyone" exists in Members group?

You can add the user to the Members group directly. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Thursday, July 23, 2020 3:04 AM
  • Hello,

This forum will be locked down, if you still have issues about this question, you can continue to post in here before 8/10/2020. It is recommended to create a new question on Microsoft Q&A, we will continue to support you on the new home.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Tuesday, August 4, 2020 8:11 AM
  • I already added her to the Members group so the error would stop.

Tuesday, August 4, 2020 7:40 PM