none
custom database occationally crashing - SQL backend, MS Access front end RRS feed

• Question

• We are running a custom database in one of my customer sites. The back end is running SQL and the front end is based on Microsoft Access. Our users occasionally experience issues with Access hanging on them and then they lose their reports. Other times, they experience sluggishness and with all these issues, we have not been able to narrow down why these issues happen.

Here is the technical stuff

SQL Server -> Windows 2012R2, 16GB ram, SQL version 2012, up to date windows updates. No additional AV running on this server.

Workstations -> new Lenovo M710s, Windows 10 Pro (v1903, OS build 18362.476), 8GB ram, SSD drives, Office 2016 Pro Plus, AVG business edition (19.7.3103)

HP Aruba Gbit managed switches (2530-24G-POE+)

We are using POE because our phone system runs through the same connection.

Server backups run between 9am – 10am when there are the least number of users on the system using the database.

Things we’ve tried but didn’t make any difference

1. Dropped in 3 new lines to the PC’s to take out the POE phones out of the equation.
    2. Removed AVG from a couple of stations for a few days.

I’m hoping that someone can give us some guidance on this issue.

• Edited by johnny77 Saturday, November 30, 2019 4:00 PM
    Saturday, November 30, 2019 2:51 PM

All replies

• Hi johnny77, 

Sorry that I am not familiar with POE , so your description might be unclear for me . Did you mean that your user could not access your database ? 

Could you please share us error message ? As you said that 'Our users occasionally experience issues with Access hanging on them and then they lose their reports' , it might be related to network or other reason instead of Access permissions. Please check .

Best Regards,

Rachel 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 2, 2019 3:07 AM
  • POE is power over ethernet. the switch supplies power to our IP phones.

Here is the most common error that I see in the logs;

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Hang

Date:          12/2/2019 2:17:54 PM

Event ID:      1002

Task Category: (101)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

The program MSACCESS.EXE version 16.0.4266.1001 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 3:49 PM
  • Hi johnny77,

Thank you for your reply.

Per your error message , I think your issue might be related to ACCESS.  If so, please post your issue in the corresponding forum and you will get more professional help  ACCESS FORUM

By the way, if you have post your issue in the corresponding forum  ,in order to close this thread, please kindly mark helpful replies or your own reply as answers. By doing so, it will benefit all community members who are having this similar issue.  Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Rachel 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 5, 2019 7:38 AM