Anyone have experience with MessageOps Synchronization going from BPOS to 365? RRS feed

• Question

• We're going to transition from BPOS to 365 later next month.

Anyone out there who did BPOS to 365 transition, and who used MessageOps Password Synchronization before with BPOS and want to continue to do so with 365?  How did it work out?

Thanks!

John
    Monday, July 2, 2012 7:38 PM

Answers

• The BPOS version doesn't work in O365, but they have an O365 version that works great. We made sure everyone had recently changed their passwords before the transition, so that gave me ample time to change out versions after we migrated.
    • Proposed as answer by Daniel Trautman Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by JohnLVT Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:29 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 8:37 PM

All replies

• The BPOS version doesn't work in O365, but they have an O365 version that works great. We made sure everyone had recently changed their passwords before the transition, so that gave me ample time to change out versions after we migrated.
    • Proposed as answer by Daniel Trautman Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by JohnLVT Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:29 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 8:37 PM
  • Hi, I have a quick follow up question on the MessageOps O365 Password Synchronization tool. After the password is sychronized, when the user runs Outlook are they prompted for credentials?

Thanks,

Chris

Thursday, July 5, 2012 7:05 PM
  • Yes, but only once. After that Outlook caches the credentials.
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 7:17 PM
  • So, our domain password policy forces a password change every 90 days; I am assuming that anytime a user changes their password Outlook will prompt the user for credentials again, is that correct? Thanks for your help.

Chris

Thursday, July 5, 2012 7:30 PM
  • That's right - we're in the same boat. I'd also suggest that you disable O365's password policy, so that they don't "conflict" - in theory you should be ok, but in reality sometimes people are on vacation, don't change their AD password, but at least they can still get to their mail until they get back.
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 7:38 PM
  • Please remember that, if you disable the password policy (set a user's password to not expire, I'm assuming since the set-msolpasswordpolicy cmdlet doesn't work), you will need to set that flag again after forcing a password change (which is what the password sync tool does, I believe).  If it uses another mechanism other than powershell to change the passwords in O365, then resetting the flag may not be required.

Have a great day,

Dan

www.insecurityinc.info

Monday, July 9, 2012 11:31 PM
  • Please remember that, if you disable the password policy (set a user's password to not expire, I'm assuming since the set-msolpasswordpolicy cmdlet doesn't work), you will need to set that flag again after forcing a password change (which is what the password sync tool does, I believe).  If it uses another mechanism other than powershell to change the passwords in O365, then resetting the flag may not be required.

Have a great day,

Dan

www.insecurityinc.info

This definitely is not how it works for us - the user's O365 passwords never expire. I think we have that setting enabled for us organization-wide, but I don't remember how we had it done. Perhaps by calling customer support.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:19 AM
  • Thanks everyone, and also for adding another answer I was looking for... how to deal with setting passwords to not expire for specific users in 365.

John

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:29 PM