none
OfficeFileCache Folder Size 3-4x Larger than Actual Content (SharePoint Workspace 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am using the SharePoint Workspace 2010 from Office 2010 on Windows 7 x64 to cache some of my workspaces on my local machine. 

My OfficeFileCache folder has grown uncontrollably for reasons i cannot fathom. My current folder size is over 20GB, the bulk of which is one large .FSD file that is 18GB in size, and a lot of smaller .FSD files. In fact, this folder at one point grew to take up all my hard disk space, and then mysteriously shrunk down to 20GB in size, no idea why. I went and manually calculated the size of the workspaces I have cached and it only came up to about 5-6GB (the only way i could do this is do go to the paths with Windows Explorer and do right click-properties one by one). 

So my question is - How does 5-6GB in workspaces become 20GB local cache? And how do i reduce the size of this cache without deleting/discarding documents (logically i should be able to cache all my docs with just 5-6GB of space)? This is taking up most of my hard disk space, which is very limited since i'm running Windows 7 in a VM

I tried "Delete Cached Files" from the Office Upload Center but that did not do anything. 

Please help. 

Thanks

PS. I have an earlier post on a similar topic, but the query there is different so I am posting a new one

PS2. Was not too sure if I should post this in the Office forum or SharePoint forum, since there is no SharePoint Workspace forum and this tool is part of Office 2010 suite.

• Moved by GreggPJ - MSFTModerator Monday, August 6, 2012 1:10 PM Moving to correct forum (From:Office IT Pro General Discussions)
    Friday, August 3, 2012 8:28 AM

All replies

• The OfficeFileCache folder contains the Office Document Cache. This cache contains data for all of the following data:

• Document library files synced to a SharePoint workspace
    • File attachments in SharePoint lists synced to a SharePoint workspace
    • Files opened directly from SharePoint by Office applications. For example, if you access a Word document on SharePoint in your browser, and then click Open in Word, data for the file, including both the file content and information on the file state, is saved in the cache.

This information in the cache is intended to be extensive. To support things like Co-Authoring, detailed information about individual operations must also be perserved. The priority here is not to minimize disk footprint, but to maximize local processing of changes, maximize reliability, and minimize the amount of data sent over the network for each saved change.

When you clear the cache (using Delete cached files), cached Office documents that are not part of a SharePoint workspace are marked for purging. These don't seem to be removed from the cache immediately; I tried testing this, and saw no initial change, but a drop from 194 MB to 45 MB over the next two hours.

Since the point of a SharePoint workspace is to maintain a cache, clearing the cache does not affect workspace content. To do that, you would need to stop synching the list or library that contains the document, or sync the library as headers only and choose individual files to synchronize. I did notice a small (3 MB) drop in cache size when I shut down SharePoint Workspace, which I assume was temporary data being cleared, as restarting SharePoint Workspace did not cause a similar increase.

I know this is difficult to apply to your situation, but I hope it helps clarify the elements involved.

Monday, August 6, 2012 8:04 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for your response (you're right it was not a direct solution but it was helpful for me to understand what is going on). The purging over time behaviour may explain the erratic changes in cache folder size, e.g. my cache folder shrunk by over 70% in the past couple of days. It may have something to do with me clearing the cache as you mentioned and perhaps it was gradually purging the files not part of SharePoint (although I don't really know where all that content came from since I generally only open content from SharePoint Workspace and have not been dealing with large file sets. 

So for now things are working fine until the next time the cache folder decides to grow uncontrollably again. If that happens I will probably try the delete cached files approach again and wait and see if the purging brings the folder size down again

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 1:00 PM
  • That was helpful Frances SE-MSFT.

I now understand the reason for such a large cache. 

A problem I'm having is similar.  I want to keep a large cache, but I want to move it to another drive which has enough space.  The drive it's currently on is my local C: drive which is very small (SSD).

How can I redirect the cache file to go to another drive? 

Thanks,

Roby

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:16 AM
  • Unfortunately, there is no option to change the location of the cache, either the Office Document Cache or the other SharePoint Workspace cache in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\Groove\System. For security and stability reasons, they are kept in C:\Users\username\AppData\, and for performance reasons they need to be under Local.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 4:08 PM
  • I have been using this method to reliably relocate my large OfficeFileCache folder off my SSD and onto my SD card. This creates a folder that contains the Office 15.0 folder found in AppData.

This has to be done before Office has been run at all. If you've already run it, I'd uninstall and re-install later (totally worth it).

1. Create a folder on the SD card (might need to be NTFS formatted) named "AppData_15.0"
    2. Open a "cmd" box with administrative rights
    3. Create the folder C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office and cd into it
    4. mklink /d 15.0 %SDcard%\AppData_15.0

Now run Office. You should see OfficeFileCache created inside the Office folder, among other files.

You may be tempted to only relocate the OfficeFileCache folder and not its parent 15.0. However Office somehow finds out and re-creates the folder on my SSD. This does not happen if I link to 15.0 instead.

Hope it helps.

• Proposed as answer by John W Tuesday, September 15, 2015 6:14 AM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 6:11 AM