none
Any demos showing Azure Arc managing an AWS VM? RRS feed

• Question

• I think that Azure Arc is a real game changer.

Has anyone done a demo of Azure Arc managing an AWS VM (AMI)?

Bill Zack

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Bill,

You're pretty right about the game changer fact. I don't recall a specific demo for Azure Arc in combination with AWS Virtual Machine Instances but the model is quiet the same for any machine whether it's hosted on AWS, GCP, HyperV, VMware, baremetal, etc. It works as on a agent-based model. This means you install an agent, which only communicates outbound to your Azure environment, on one or multiple machines and it'll do most of the work for you.

Also have a look at this Ignite 2019 session from Thomas Maurer and Jane Yan

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:02 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. It would be great if someone could do a demo of managing an AWS VM. There are companies that have applications in more than one cloud. To paraphrase the Lord of the Rings: "One cloud to rule them all" :-)

Bill

Bill Zack

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 11:09 PM
  • Hi,

It may help for quick look and good start, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxZq5OhbGbY

-Malleswar

Friday, November 22, 2019 6:11 PM
  • Thanks for the video which shows Azure Managing On-Premises VMs. I have seen several demos of that. What I am looking for is something different.

We have migrated AWS VMs (AMIs) from AWS to Azure and created a VPN between them. Doing that was non-trivial.

Although in theory there should be no difference between managing a VM on-premises and one in AWS the proof would be a demo.

Bill Zack

Friday, November 22, 2019 8:14 PM
  • So far no-one has responded that they have seen or done this. Given AWS proclivity to block even the mention of other clouds I would like to know if anyone has tried it.

Bill

Bill Zack

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 10:36 PM