Analyze and report old detached logs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I've got to analyze and create a report from old detached TMG FWS & WEB logs databases. How would you do it? Would you use 3rd party software? If yes, which you'd recommend?

Thanks for suggestions,
    Dawid

Monday, August 23, 2010 10:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for the post.

To view the TMG logs, you may refer to this article and see if it works:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/isablog/archive/2010/03/31/how-to-view-tmg-logs-when-using-sql-server-express-for-logging.aspx

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:30 AM
  • Thanks Nick,

for suggestion, I've read that article. Unfortunately, I've got around 50GB of detached database files (MDF and LDF) so attaching, exporting to TXT and analyzing them with Excel would be "a little bit" clumsy and really time consuming.

Any other idea?

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:56 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the update.

Since the database is large, you need to copy the logs to another SQL server and attach them to that SQL instance.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Friday, August 27, 2010 2:07 AM
  • Yep,

I absolutely will attach all the databases to SQL Server. But the question still remains: how and what to use for simple but meaningful analysis and generating reports?

Thanks,
    Dawid

Monday, August 30, 2010 12:28 AM
  • Hi Dawid,

Thanks for the update.

I am not sure “the simple but meaningful analysis” since you have large data.  As far as I know, you can create your own custom queries for SQL  to get a report that you want. But it not easy to do that since it is a more a SQL type of procedure. TMG UI doesn't provide this built in feature.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:02 AM
  • Thanks Nick,

I know that I'll have to use something else than TMG UI and SQL queries could help, but I don't have the free time to play with. So what else would you use? 3rd party software? Which?

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:49 AM
  • Hi Dawid,

For 3rd party software, you may try to use Internet Access Monitor for MS ISA Server/Forefront TMG and SurfCop for Microsoft ISA Server/Forefront TMG.

http://www.redline-software.com/eng/products/iam/internet-access-monitor-for-isa-server/compare/

Regards,

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 3:18 AM