none
Unable to find an Ewf volume on POSready 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to protect my C drive with the help of EWF features on POS Ready 7 ,

I have successfully add the winEmb-enhances-write-filter from the POS ready installation DVD which is under the DS folder.

it went successfully by the help of this cmd (DISM /Image:D: /Add-Package /PackagePath:E:\DS\<Package_Filename.cab> /ScratchDir:D:\Scratch
    ) in my case only C driver which is my OS drive and D is my POSready 7 DVD

but now later when i open CMD by the administrator and i have type the CMD Ewfmgr.exe its giving me error "Unable to find an Ewf volume"

please suggest me what going wrong i just protect my C drive

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 5:30 AM

All replies

• EWF has to be part of the OS install for it to be setup correctly. It can be setup after the fact based on the steps you performed:

1. First you need unpartitioned space on the hard drive.

2. Second run the following command to create the ewf volume in the unpartitioned space:

rundll32 ewfdll.dll ConfigureEwf

I suggest FBWF as a better alterative to EWF since it will more align with UWF when you upgrade to Windows 10 in the future. FBWF doesn't need a separate volume.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:29 PM
  • Dear Seam,

Thanks for reply 

I have tried AND add the FBWF features in my image, with FBWF and its working fine, but client software is not supporting FBWF(when they are installing the FBWF) its working fine in normal WinPOS ready 7(without installing his S/w)  ,

i have did this below cmd

i can prodect my volume by the cmd 

fbwfmgr /enable
    • fbwfmgr /addvolume c:

they have used previously ewf in windows xp embedded and their software is supporting only the ewf now they wants use windows 7 so please suggest me how to use the ewf 

Later i have tried same thing to add EWF features in Windows POS ready

as you suggest me this 

1. First you need unpartitioned space on the hard drive.

2. Second run the following command to create the ewf volume in the unpartitioned space:

rundll32 ewfdll.dll ConfigureEwf

i have create a unpartitioned to go to device manger and shrink but later when i run the cmd which you suggest me its giving me this error "There was a problem starting ewfdll.dll The specified module could not be found "

Please suggest how to use the ewf as customer already used this in Windows XP embedded with his s/w

Monday, August 19, 2019 11:40 AM
  • I use Windows System Image Manager (SIM) from the ADK to create a answer file + configuration set to install the OS. In the answer file, I enable EWF feature and setup the protection - overlay type, volume, etc. When I install the OS, I setup the disks so there is 1GB of unpartitioned space left over. This will allow for the EWF volume to be setup.

The trick is generating the catalog file from the POSReady's install.wim file. There are several youtube videos that discuss using SIM. My Windows 10 book covers the basics that will work for POSReady 7. Chapter 2 and 3 cover the basic steps.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, August 23, 2019 6:19 PM
  • Did this last reply help?

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 2:19 PM