none
Should I use distribution point sharing? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are doing a side by side migration from 1706 to 1810. This is due to a number of issues in the current environment and a full hardware refresh of a primary site server and 40 distribution points.

I plan to configure a source hierarchy and migrate everything including clients, applications, packages, deployments, software updates etc. The only point i need advice with is whether I should enable 'distribution point sharing for the source site server' given we will be deploying new DP's in their place? Would would the advice be for this and what are the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance

Thursday, April 18, 2019 11:10 AM

Answers

• > full hardware refresh 

You don't need to perform a migration to do this.

migrate everything

There is no direct migration path for some things like ADRs and client settings to name just a couple. Unless you have a trivial site, migrations usually end up being a lot of work.

DP sharing is all about not having to redistribute the content to the DPs. If this isn't a concern, then there's no reason to use it.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Marked as answer by AllyRussell Thursday, May 2, 2019 11:58 AM
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 1:33 PM

All replies

• > full hardware refresh 

You don't need to perform a migration to do this.

migrate everything

There is no direct migration path for some things like ADRs and client settings to name just a couple. Unless you have a trivial site, migrations usually end up being a lot of work.

DP sharing is all about not having to redistribute the content to the DPs. If this isn't a concern, then there's no reason to use it.

• Marked as answer by AllyRussell Thursday, May 2, 2019 11:58 AM
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 1:33 PM
  • Thank you for the information. We can live with having to recreate the software update ADR's and not having the client settings migrated. My preference was to do a native backup and restore to new hardware and then upgrade it but the organization requested a new build with migration.

Again we are not concerned about having to redistribute the content to DP's, thank you for clearing this up. Are there any other main sticking points you have come across doing migrations?

Friday, April 19, 2019 7:58 AM
  • As noted, it's just a lot more work and really serves no purpose that a restore won't address unless you truly feel that there is DB corruption.

Friday, April 19, 2019 2:14 PM
  • Jason, thank you for your input, appreciated.

I agree that this approach is more work as for example I have just had to manually recreate the client settings, security roles and scopes etc. in the new environment. However, it was required for political reasons within the customer business. There are effectively 2 entities sharing the environment; I will migrate all objects associated with entity 1 using migration jobs (Source hierarchy setup) and partial migration from entity 2 as they will create and deploy images and applications from scratch. I have a couple of additional questions around this but will create a new post.

Thanks

Thursday, May 2, 2019 11:58 AM