none
SCVMM IP - Update Network Adapter RRS feed

• Question

• HI all,

I am trying to update a network adapter for a VM using SCORCH 2019.  When I provide the ID and the virtual lan to configure the machine on I get the following result during testing:

*********************************************************************************

The following errors occurred when invoking PowerShell script:Specified method is not supported.

Exception: InvalidOperationException
    Target site: PSRunspaceInvoker.HandleInvokeErrors

Stack trace:
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Integration.PowerShellConnector.PSRunspaceInvoker.HandleInvokeErrors(IList invokeErrors)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Integration.PowerShellConnector.PSRunspaceInvoker.Invoke(RunspaceInvoke runspace, String script, ILogger logger)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Integration.PowerShellConnector.PSScriptRunner.Execute(String script)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Integration.VMM2012QIK.ActivityBase.DoWork(IActivityRequest request, IActivityResponse response)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Integration.VMM2012QIK.VMMBase.Execute(IActivityRequest request, IActivityResponse response)

*********************************************************************************

If I run the Set-SCVirtualNetworkAdapter command from within PowerShell itself then this configures the adapter with no problems.

The SCVMM connection options are set to run under my own admin account (this is a dev platform) and I can create a VM, Start a VM and get VM details but not set the network adapter.

Maybe I am configuring something incorrectly in the "Update Network Adapter" task but not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

Friday, May 24, 2019 1:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Shane,

this seems relevant:

SC 2012 Virtual Machine Manager Integration Pack & Orchstrator

Unfortunately it is just a workaround. Not quite sure why you get the error, although the other activities succeed (Connection account should be fine in this case).

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Friday, May 24, 2019 2:02 PM
  • Hi Stoyan,

I saw that article but decided to investigate.  Prefer not to use workaround.

In the meantime I will use the powershell command in Orchestrator but would prefer to use the builtin functions if possible

Friday, May 24, 2019 2:16 PM
  • Hi Shane,

I don't have a SCVMM 2019 environment to play with now, so I cannot test this, but there is also the possibility that this is bug of some kind. Let's wait for Stefan Horz, who moderates the forum, he has a test environment for sure and he could confirm if this is reproducible or not. 

Can you please post a screenshot of the activity configuration here (hilde all sensitive data of course), so that I can try to do a reporo next week (cannot promise, but will give my best).

Thanks,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Friday, May 24, 2019 2:29 PM
  • Below is the screenshot from my config.  I select the "Virtual Network Adapter ID" from a list produced by clicking on the ellipses (...).  The same for "Virtual Network"

What's weird though is when I bring up the list for "Virtual Network" it produces 2 lists of the same virtual networks available to apply

Friday, May 24, 2019 2:37 PM
  • Question:  Am I correct in saying that the update network adapter task is to set the network adapter properties of the VM?

I need to set the adapter to be on a specific LAN that is configured in VMM.

Is that what this task is supposed to do?

Friday, May 24, 2019 2:43 PM
  • I have found the issue.  The documentation on Microsoft's site is not updated.

In the list of optional parameters to configure there is a "Virtual Network" and a "VM Network"

I was choosing "Virtual Network" but when I chose "VM Network" everything worked fine.

Friday, May 24, 2019 2:51 PM
  • Question:  Am I correct in saying that the update network adapter task is to set the network adapter properties of the VM?

I need to set the adapter to be on a specific LAN that is configured in VMM.

Is that what this task is supposed to do?

Hi Shane,

if by "set" you mean update, then you are correct. Hmm..I don't see a Virtual Network Property here:

Update Network Adapter

There is a "Logical Network" and a "Virtual Network ID". Can you please check it out. 

From the article, the optional parameters you can update:

Update Network Adapter Optional Properties

Element Description
    Logical Network The name or IP subnet for the logical network.
    MAC Address Dynamic or Static. You can specify a Static MAC address or choose <Static-Auto>, in which case the static address will be generated by the activity.
    MAC Address pool When the MAC address is set to Static, you must specify the MAC address pool.
    Network Location The network location for a physical network adapter or for a virtual network adapter
    Network Tag An alphanumeric value of your choice to differentiate the host's virtual networks, based on a criterion such as throughput or security. Network tags can be used to match virtual machines with suitable hosts.
    Virtual Network ID The unique identifier (GUID) of the Virtual Network specified at the host level of the Virtual Machine Manager configuration
    VLAN ID A numeric identifier in the range 1 through 4094 for the Network VLAN

Thanks,

Friday, May 24, 2019 3:04 PM
  • That is what is so weird.

The documentation does not match the options.  The screenshot I showed gives the options I have on my system which is somewhat different to what the documentation state can be updated.

Friday, May 24, 2019 3:12 PM
  • Hi,

which version of the IP are you using? Could it be that it needs updating?

Regards,

Saturday, May 25, 2019 7:43 PM