none
Why is Get-MailDetailSpamReport with specified dates is only returning very recent results? RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy all,

Thank you to any guru's out there who may have a crack at this..

I am wondering if someone can explain to me why Get-MailDetailSpamReport with specified dates is only returning very recent results.

The exact parameters that I am using are thus;

Get-MailDetailSpamReport -startdate 07/07/2019 -enddate 10/07/2019 | Export-CSV c:\temp\"spam mail report.CSV" –NoTypeInformation -Encoding utf8

The issue is that the report generated has only Spam events from 09/27/2019 to 10/07/2019, so the last week and a half.

It does not matter if I change the start date to something farther back or nearer, it still only pulls data for the last week and a half.

Any guru's out there have an idea why?

Thank you!

Sozo

Monday, October 7, 2019 6:27 PM

Answers

• That's pretty much how it works, the maximum range you can get is 10 days back. If you need more than that, you have to periodically export the data to external system (or use a third-party reporting tool that does it for you).
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 8:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Sozo,

Do you mean if we specify the start date as 10/5, we could still get the result from 09/27 to 10/7?

Please open your Office 365 admin center, enter into the following page and check if the result is expected there.

https://protection.office.com/reportv2?id=SpamDetections&pivot=EventType

Reference link: Spam Detections report

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 2:57 AM
  • That's pretty much how it works, the maximum range you can get is 10 days back. If you need more than that, you have to periodically export the data to external system (or use a third-party reporting tool that does it for you).
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 8:33 AM
  • Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards, 

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 11, 2019 8:26 AM
  • Hi Manu, thank you for the help and follow up!!

You are correct Manu 10 days s all that one can get.

I had an MS tech sign on with me and try but we were unable to get more than 10 days by any of the means that we tried... here is an excerpt from our sign off...

" I spoke with my senior team and the consensus is that this is likely a limitation for that particular powershell command. The recommendation we have is to go to the Security & Compliance Center > Mail Flow > Message Trace and then perform an Extended Report for 30 days. In addition, we recommend posting in the user voice forum about the limitation and request that the powershell command provides more data than the past 10 days. You can do that here: http://office365.uservoice.com. "

I looked into it further and the extended mesasge trace will only pull 10 days as well, so no workaround there so sorry to anyone else who wishes for more than 10 days, it is currently not possible it seems.

Thank you for the assists all!!!

Sozo

I did look into the Extended message trace cmdlet, but alas, it can only pull 10 days as well, so no workaround there.

Thank you again Manu and all!!!

Saturday, October 19, 2019 12:42 AM