none
Sharepoint Designer Workflow failing when user account is disabled RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have taken on support of a new sharepoint site which has a workflow which allows an approval process when someone updates the home page of the site.

The user that we believe created this workflow has recently left the company. When we disable the user account the workflow stops working. This workflow seems to rely on this user account.

Is this a known issue with workflows?

The strange thing is when we connect with SP Designer we do not see this workflow we only see the 3 default flows.

If I open the workflow task in IE and click to edit in SP Designer I can see the task but cannot see anywhere I could swap this user for another account or even a service account.

I apologise as this is all very new to us and I cannot understand why the disabling of an account would have any bearing on the success of a sp designer workflow.

Tuesday, June 23, 2020 7:14 PM

All replies

•   I'm assuming this is a Sharepoint 2010 workflow running on SharePoint 2013:: if you have a WF failing after disabling an account, the workflow probably has an impersonation step. An impersonation step runs as whomever published the workflow. My advice is to open the WF in SPD and re-publish the workflow (after first logging in with an account that has all necessary permissions [i.e. Full ] )

-hth

-jake

Tuesday, June 23, 2020 8:43 PM
  • Hi RickG67, 

What is the error message when start the workflow?

As Jake said, Impersonation steps run with the permissions of the person who last saved the workflow. using a service account to publish workflows with impersonation steps that has full control and never gets removed.

If the workflow cannot be find, i am afraid that you need to recreate the workflow. 

Reference:

https://www.enjoysharepoint.com/impersonation-step-in-sharepoint-2010-designer-workflow/

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, June 24, 2020 9:10 AM
  • Hi

Thank you for the responses.

I am beginning to understand now.

And yes I cannot locate the WF. Is this normal? Why would a WF disappear?

This changes things for us in a support point of view so if disappearing WF's are a thing I will need to log a ticket via our tenant and get official word on that before I take it to the business.

What would cause a WF to now show on SP Designer? Is this due to the 2010/2013 issues?

Wednesday, June 24, 2020 2:17 PM
  • Hi RickG67, 

It looks strange, are you sure the workflow is created from SharePoint Designer? Only the workflow is created from SharePoint designer, it will displayed in the SharePoint Designer. 

You can open a ticket.

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, June 25, 2020 7:31 AM
  • Hi RickG67, 

If a reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Monday, June 29, 2020 10:30 AM