Nortel CS1K or Mitel 3300? RRS feed

• Question

•  

We need to make an internal decision whether to integrate OCS2007 with Nortel CS1K or Mitel 3300 (we've got both IP PBXs). Which option provides better economics and will be more future proofed from technology integration perpsective?
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 2:24 PM

All replies

• This is quite a common question, I have worked with both systems and would say that it depends on the size of your business and what your plans are for both the near and distant future. I have provided my opinion below, however please keep in mind it is only my opinion and the responses may vary dependant on who you speak to.

Nortel are known for providing high-end Enterprise systems and Mitel are becoming increasingly popular in the SMB market however they can also scale to suit enterprise customers. You are quite lucky as you probably have the two systems that are leading the market in regards to OCS integration.

Mitel's integration is quite good if you are only looking for OCS integration and the solution is quite a cost effective for smaller deployments, however traditionally their systems don’t scale very well and can get quite expensive in the long run, In addition to this their roadmap on how the solution will evolve with Microsoft over the coming years isn’t extremely clear.

If you are a large organization the only other things you would need to consider is what modifications need to be made to the dial plan and what call scenarios are supported by the integration, it may also be worth looking into what level of redundancy you require and what can be provided for the "Live Business Gateway" component of the Mitel solution.

The Nortel solution is probably a little more advanced then the Mitel and provides true "Native" integration, their solution is simpler to deploy, requires less initial dial plan manipulation and requires less on-going management, however the downside is that the initial investment required is higher.

The CS1k architecture also provides advanced levels of redundancy which applies to all aspects of the core system including the integration, this is where the initial cost differences start to even out.

The other benefit with the Nortel is their unique partnership with Microsoft which has been called "ICA" (I think the website is: www.InnovativeCommunicationsAlliance.com ) check the website for full details however one of the key differences with the Nortel solution is that Nortel and Microsoft are jointly developing new products and they both present a very clear roadmap on how their solutions will evolve together which provides businesses with a degree of investment protection.

In summary, I believe you will get a good solution with either vendor however if it was my business and I already had both systems I think I would choose to move down the Nortel path purely based on the fact that they have a proven solution and appear to have a more defined vision of where they are going.

It may also be worth checking out the latest Gartner report on the leaders in UC as it provides some valuable insight into where each vendor is currently positioned in the market, I think there was a link off the ICA page above....

I hope this helps

Cheers

D

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5:29 AM
  • Well put D! 

I have not worked with Mitel but have worked with CS1k extensively and it seems to have all of the quirkiness of enterprise voice integration worked out.  Notably is the ability to split tunnel from the PBX and only display a single "toast" pop-up notification on the desktop.  I haven't seen another PBX vendor yet that does that without turning off remote call control.  Other solutions bring up dual toasts which can be very confusing for the end-user.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 12:00 AM
  • Hi ,

Nortel is a nice old pabx that has a good history but is not any more the best you can buy today in the market .

If you need a system +/- 1000 users i go for a Mitel ,

look also at the user interface of the phone,s they make the diffrence for a end user .

Regards  dyks b

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:47 PM
  • Nortel is a trusted PBX Vendor, and looking at the strategic alliance they have with Microsoft, I would say go with Nortel.

Korneel.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:44 AM
  • Nortel – Network Solutions Consultant - London

My client is focused on delivering the far reaching benefits that deploying a converged IP based communications’ infrastructure can bring to an enterprise, specializing in the turnkey supply of complex solutions and associated services. We are a triple gold Nortel partner within routing and switching, BCM and CS1000 disciplines. In addition we are a Nortel solutions partner for CC6.

We are looking for an individual to provide engineering support both internally and externally, with specific responsibility for system design, installation, configuration, network management and technical Consultancy.

The Role - Main Duties and Responsibilities:

*        To provide technical input to the design and quotation of CS1000, CC6 and BCM solutions.

*        Responsible for end-to-end installation for client opportunities.

*        Close working relationship with Project Managers to ensure installations delivered on time and to budget.

*        Provision of as installed documentation.

*        Input to Engineering Manager for process and implementation document.

*        Support pre sales with technical design reviews.

*        To keep abreast of product developments, attend Nortel training courses , patch databases and other known issues

*        To provide expert technical knowledge within the organisation and ensure that definition / documentation is maintained to the highest levels.

*        Support Product / service Consultancy opportunities as defined.

*        To review operational documentation for new and existing products and update as necessary.

The Person - Skills, Knowledge, Qualifications and Experience:

*        HND/degree engineering or related qualification or practical experience in a similar role.

*        Manufacturer accredited maintenance / installation training courses, (NCSS, NCDS, BCM, Meridian Succession, Symposium)

*        A Self motivated team player with excellent interpersonal skills

*        An outgoing individual willing to participate as part of a small and flexible team

*        Flexible approach to working hours to support our contracts in the UK and throughout Europe able to travel at any time of the day.

*        Ability to work effectively under pressure.

*        Full Driving Licence

*        Excellent client facing communications skills

If this job sounds like you that could be of interest to you e-mail me with salary expectations and CV. Karll@reflexgroup.co.uk

Monday, July 28, 2008 3:58 PM
  • Hi Iskra,

Would be happy to help you decide and the best way is to actually experience it at one of our joint collaboration centers or a demo center where you can try out the joint solution with the CS1000?

http://www.innovativecommunicationsalliance.com/Demo-Facilities/Overview.aspx

Would also be interested to here about your business as we have some very cool customised applications for different industry verticals that really start to drive productivity.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at jbrindly@nortel.com.

Friday, October 3, 2008 2:43 PM
  • Hi,

The Nortel CS1K offers a soomther solution. I ahve seen both in action and we have deployed the integration with the Nortel CS1K. It runs like a charm.

Thanks

Anesh| http://christopheranesh.blogspot.com/
    Friday, September 18, 2009 2:23 PM