none
XLS files and Office Web Apps

Question

• Hi

One of my customers has a SharePoint 2013 farm, including an OWA server. Sinds a few days users are not able anymore to open XLS (not xlsx) in Office Web Apps (browser). The browser OWA opens, but hangs on the text 'Office Web Apps' (loading screen). They are able to open XLSX files without any problem.

Some of the XLS files don't have any problems. They will be visible within a second. Those files are in the same document library and created with the same template. If I check the properties of those files they are exactly the same, also an export to CSV don't show strange characters or anything.

I've tried different things, but it's still not working. Anybody any clue?

Thanks in advance,
    Leon B

Kind regards, Leon

Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Finally found what caused the issue why I was not able to open some XLS files.

When a new Excel document is created the 'Workbook View' state (Ribbon: 'View') is set to 'Normal'. For the XLS files which could not open in Office Web Apps, the Workbook View state was set to 'Page Break Preview'.

When changed this back to 'Normal', I was able to open the XLS file. The same file saved as XLSX (view set to 'Page Break Preview') can be opened in Office Web Apps.

Regards,

Leon

Kind regards, Leon

• Marked as answer by L. Baudewijns Thursday, October 20, 2016 2:31 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 2:31 PM

All replies

• XLS cannot be opened with WAC. XLS is instead handled by Excel Calculation Services with no edit option. This has always been the case. I would check your ECS configuration to validate that the site is within the allowed paths.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 4:22 PM
  • Hi L. Baudewijins,

I have done a test in my SharePoint 2013 and I can open XLS file with OWA.

For your issue, please download the XLS file to the local, then open the document with excel, save as an XLS file:

Then upload the new XLS file into SharePoint, compare whether you can open it with OWA.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, October 14, 2016 8:53 AM
  • Hi

When I download the XLS file, convert and upload it back as XLSX , then I can open the file in OWA. But three weeks back we were able to open the XLS files in OWA. There are no updates installed, it just suddenly stopped working. I can open some XLS files, but the most of them not. 

This is really frustrating. I can not say to the customer you need to convert all documents to XLSX. Leon.

Kind regards, Leon

Monday, October 17, 2016 7:22 AM
  • Installing and configuring ECS did not help...

Kind regards, Leon

Monday, October 17, 2016 7:28 AM
  • Hi L. Baudewijns,

Sometimes, the XLS file is corrupted.

Please download the XLS file to the local, then open the document with excel, save as an XLS file again.

Then upload the XLS file to SharePoint library, compare the results.

Or you can upload an new XLS file which is not corrupted to SharePoint library, compare the results.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, October 17, 2016 7:34 AM
  • Hi,

Finally found what caused the issue why I was not able to open some XLS files.

When a new Excel document is created the 'Workbook View' state (Ribbon: 'View') is set to 'Normal'. For the XLS files which could not open in Office Web Apps, the Workbook View state was set to 'Page Break Preview'.

When changed this back to 'Normal', I was able to open the XLS file. The same file saved as XLSX (view set to 'Page Break Preview') can be opened in Office Web Apps.

Regards,

Leon

Kind regards, Leon

• Marked as answer by L. Baudewijns Thursday, October 20, 2016 2:31 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 2:31 PM