IE10 Metro Favorites and Bookmarks? RRS feed

• Question

• I can't figure out how to bookmark/favorite a website in metro IE10. I can Pin but I surely don't want to pin all the websites I use. I thought I saw one somewhere but I can't find it now.

Thoughts?

Vote for Freedom - Vote to Protect our Country

Friday, March 2, 2012 1:29 AM

Answers

•  You are correct.  The equivalent to favorites in Metro style IE10 is pinned sites.  Pinned sites to the Start Screen and in Metro style IE10 make the web browser experience easier from a touch-based device.  You can use the destop version of IE10, which has the same favorites support you're use to when using IE9.  Also, Metro style IE10 does not support browser plugins, while the desktop version of IE10 does.

You can control which version of IE is started from links by opening a dekstop instance of IE10, and open the Internet Options.  From the Programs tab, choose which instance of IE10 you want to use when you open links. Touch devices benefit from Metro style IE10 while some non-touch device users may prefer the desktop instance of IE10.

­Mike Stephens [MSFT] | Support Escalation Engineer | Windows Distributed Systems | Charlotte, NC USA

Friday, March 2, 2012 3:44 AM

All replies

•  You are correct.  The equivalent to favorites in Metro style IE10 is pinned sites.  Pinned sites to the Start Screen and in Metro style IE10 make the web browser experience easier from a touch-based device.  You can use the destop version of IE10, which has the same favorites support you're use to when using IE9.  Also, Metro style IE10 does not support browser plugins, while the desktop version of IE10 does.

You can control which version of IE is started from links by opening a dekstop instance of IE10, and open the Internet Options.  From the Programs tab, choose which instance of IE10 you want to use when you open links. Touch devices benefit from Metro style IE10 while some non-touch device users may prefer the desktop instance of IE10.

­Mike Stephens [MSFT] | Support Escalation Engineer | Windows Distributed Systems | Charlotte, NC USA

Friday, March 2, 2012 3:44 AM

Welcome to the new complicated to use Windows 8. Seriously, your UX team needs to be fired.

Thanks, Andrew

Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:57 PM
  • Since I can add favorites on my WP7.5 I should be able to in my Windows 8 laptop.

Michael Pekarik Syntax, Inc.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:11 PM
  • In Windows 8 Metro IE, if you bring up the url bar (right click on mouse or swipe up from the bottom) and click inside the url bar (as if you are going to type in a new web page address) then right above the url bar, you will see "Pinned", "Frequent" and if you scroll to the right, you will see your favorites.
    Friday, December 14, 2012 6:43 AM
  • In Windows 8 Metro IE, if you bring up the url bar (right click on mouse or swipe up from the bottom) and click inside the url bar (as if you are going to type in a new web page address) then right above the url bar, you will see "Pinned", "Frequent" and if you scroll to the right, you will see your favorites.

I paid for Pro thinking I would have a better ui experience, but wow, I had no idea of the incompetence of the UI team for windows 8. I am a customer, have a right to express my opinion, and I really thought, that given Metro is where the future is headed, that it would at least offer you the option to sort by folder ? ( add favorite, where you want)

Did the team not think anyone would ever want to keep hundreds of 'favorites' and not be forced to have to WADE through them all one at a time in a horizontal window!

THis is what we are paying for these days, sloppy UI coding ?

I sure as heck hope you plan on a update that allows for 'folders', like IE 10 does in vista workspace. I specifically started getting used to the Ie10 metro Interface because I really liked how its full screen and minimal, but could you not have found another way to keep this minimal instead of removing one of THE most used features in IE10 ????????????

if I had wanted to use IE10 original browser, I would have done so, but I chose IE10metro. I guess that was a big mistake to go with the browser which is part of new metro INterface that I paid for, and have been officially shunned.

Not very bright Microsoft!

THanks for nothing.

I really like metro, but I really don't get the reason for  giving people LESS features. Who I'd like to know, thought this one up ? ;)

lee

• Edited by gleej Friday, January 4, 2013 11:18 PM
    Friday, January 4, 2013 11:16 PM
  • Literally every answer I've ever read in response to every question asked on Windows support sites have been wrong or at least slightly off.

If you view any page in Desktop Mode (by clicking the wrench) you can edit favorites, add tracking protection lists, change your homepage, and even change your default search provider if you install one through the IE Gallery website. Everything you do in desktop IE will persist in Metro. Try it.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 3:12 AM
  • I have something like 200 favorites because I'm a technologist why in God's green earth would I want them all on my start screen? favorites are also used for reference. Every time I build a website, app, video, game, perform tech support I will need a web link (Favorite) somewhere to perform that action. Why would I want something I use once a year, month or even week on the start screen. I understand if Pins=Favorite Bar but it should not equal the entire favorites system. If that's the case then I'm moving it all to OneNote and you need to put a quick post to OneNote option in Metro too.

Vote for Freedom - Vote to Protect our Country

Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:59 AM
  • I do know about the favorites below the address bar, but that is still slow and clunky.  The favorites are no longer in the nice groups that I spend all the time on to organize and title.  Now I have to scroll through the whole mess and look at the cryptic URLs and try to figure out what I saved that link for.  This is a major step in the wrong direction.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:38 PM
  • I do know about the favorites below the address bar

In MUF IE I see AutoSuggest matches above its Address bar.   What makes no sense to me is why I only see 3 matches from the Favorites category.   E.g. that is what I would see in the Desktop but in the Desktop I also get a chevron with those 3 in order to see more.   This would be a case where I would not mind at all seeing the list continue on as long as necessary to the right.   In contrast seeing that list without any matches is useless to me.  At one point in the beta they were giving us the Favorite's path as a tooltip as well as the URL it referred to.   That would be  helpful when matching as well since matches are evidently made that way too.   OTOH they probably have instrumentation which proves that the vast majority of users are oblivious of the chevrons and just keep typing to get a match that they want, so why bother with the problem of trying to implement a MUF IE version of a feature that is unused on Desktop IE?   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:33 PM
  • I have a screenshot of the favorites, but it doesn't look like I can attach it to this post.

If you right click on the screen to bring up the address bar, then click in the address bar you will see your favorites.  To see more of them, simply scroll to the right.

I really hate this layout as it's not intuitive and does nothing for productivity.  Not to mention that it's a nightmare for those with OCD, or was that "CDO", (alphabetical order)?

Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:49 PM
  • If you right click on the screen to bring up the address bar, then click in the address bar you will see your favorites.  To see more of them, simply scroll to the right.

But can you see what you need by typing to get simple matching?   In particular can you drill down into your Favorites directory tree that way?

---

Friday, May 17, 2013 2:46 PM
  • Robert,

You can type some text in and it will display matches, but unless you know exactly what you saved the link as, you will still be searching for a while.

Friday, May 17, 2013 3:09 PM