none
SCCM 2012, set computername during task sequence RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to assign a name to a computer during task sequence, it the computername exists (reinstall), it should take the one which is there. If not it should prompt. We might import a list of comuternames and their mac-addresses, then it should take the name which is imported.

Now I have found these options:

1.prompt: using variable
    http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5542-how-can-i-easily-prompt-for-a-computer-name-in-configuration-manager-2012/#ipboard_body

=> However, this does not work for me, task sequence doesn't ask for computername.
    Should I add something in task sequence too?

2.Here a script to use computername when it exists: at the bottom of the page (link above), but where to insert? At the task sequence, where, in the "Apply operating system" step?

3.Import mac-addresses and assign name based upon this ... => No idea howto(?)

Please advise.

J.

Jan Hoedt

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• I don't quite understand. The OSDComputerName collection variable works perfectly. It won't prompt you though. Have a look at the blog again. When you start the task sequence you are presented with the "Edit Task Sequence Variable" dialog box. You have to double-click the variable and type in your required computer name.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:48 PM
  • Thanks. The variable isn't presented to me.
    Note: I have a computer "unknown" in my devices, not sure if it is related.

Jan Hoedt

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:54 PM
  • You can safely delete the unknown device. Be careful not to touch the built-in Unknown computers.

How have you configured the solution? Is it exactly as Niall described? Have you deployed a TS to Unknown computers? Are you able to use this TS?

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:59 PM
  • Make sure you click the properties of the All Unknown Computers collection and find the Collection Variables tab. Click the yellow star burst and add in OSDComputerName. Do not add a value to the variable.

When you start to build your device this will be available to you as soon as the OSD policy is applied. Click the entry and add in the computer name. Then resume the build. As Gerry says it won't prompt you though.

Paul | SCCMentor (http://sccmentor.wordpress.com)

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:19 PM
  • The device is deleted, started it over again but nowhere I can add the name. Yes, I implemented it as your post mentions. TS works fine, just don't have the option to enter name of computer.

Jan Hoedt

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:22 PM
  • Note: task sequence is set to required, maybe that's why it skips this step?

Jan Hoedt

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:22 PM
  • Change it to available.

This is how the process should look:

http://www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie/2013/02/sccm-2012-sp1-step-by-step-guide-part_199.html

• Marked as answer by janhoedt Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:36 PM
    Tuesday, July 30, 2013 2:29 PM
  • If I change it to available, I get an error in my task sequence "failed because there is no mandatory deployment".

Jan Hoedt

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:07 PM

• Jan Hoedt

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Ok, think I found it: When you created the pre-staged media, you selected the option "Allow unattended operating system deployment". For that to work, you should have a Required/Mandatory task sequence deployment for the client machine. The task sequence is failing because it could not find a Required/Mandatory deployment.

Jan Hoedt

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:11 PM
  • That certainly could be it.

If you look above the error you will see the reference to the OSDComputerName variable.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Now my build an capture task sequence fails. It asks for a pc-name then also time zone etc. Only thing I changed is variable. Would like to have option to choose from all task sequences.
    Any idea how I can troubleshoot/correct this?
    J.

Jan Hoedt

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:27 PM
  • You would have set the OSDComputerName collection variable on All Unknown Computers. How would this affect your build and capture sequence? Why would this be advertised to All Unknown Computers?

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:55 PM
  • Right, no need to publish build & capture to all unknown computers. Seemed nice for lab-environment but not needed. Checked my task sequence and found out that order was wrong what probably caused my issue.

Jan Hoedt

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:27 AM
  • Checked my task sequence and found out that order was wrong what probably caused my issue.

Could you provide any details please? This doesn't help others who might run into the same problem.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:57 AM
  • The apply Windows Settings didn't come directly after apply operating system.

Jan Hoedt

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:04 AM
  • Gerry, would it be possible to extend this feature? I'd like to import a list of new pc's in sccm 2012, when it exists, it should NOT ask for a pc-name. When it does not exist it CAN ask for a name, when it is a rebuild of a pc it should take the name of the pc again.

J.

Jan Hoedt

Friday, August 2, 2013 1:23 PM
  • To get computer name and other input variables use SCCM Task Sequence OS Deployment Orchestrator. It's free and enterprise grade. www.sccmtspsi.com

A Just to mention a few benefits:

- Detailed email reporting of task sequence deployments.
    - Unlock Bitlocker (Active Directory, remote Active Directory, MBAM, file & key)
    - OnDemand task sequence selection.
    - Operating system selection
    - Office application selection.
    - SCCM application selection.
    - SCCM collection membership in real-time.
    - Active directory group membership.
    - Add Primary system users.
    - Save and restore user data (USMT).
    - 18 extension attribute assignments.
    - Automatic staging.
    - Decommissioning.

Documentation : https://sccmtspsi.com/documentation/

Friday, August 9, 2019 3:28 AM