none
How to Intergrate with SAP using BizTalk Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We need to develop solution to integrate with SAP using BizTalk Server 2006.By using SAP adapter 2.0 there is limitation from SAP side regarding license they say host name is getting captured in BizTalk so need to pay for user license.

Please advise what this mean and how can i integrate with SAP. I need to call RFC's to post and to fetch data.

-- Kind Regards Sandeep

Saturday, August 25, 2012 5:35 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

I had consult SAP team to get to know license terms, they says SAP is implementing license on how many users data is posted to SAP.

Basically for employee portal, we post vouchers(like if employee is on visit and do expense in comapny behalf) to reimburse those user make claim in portal which has go to approval mechanism and later when voucher is closed BizTalk using SQL adapter checked SQL table what all vouchers are closed and ready for park.

BizTalk at receive location will do detaching of vouchers and using Send-Receive SAP Port sends voucher xml to SAP .Which in response gives SAP voucher number which we store back to SQL table.  

-- Kind Regards Sandeep

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:19 AM

All replies

• The BizTalk Adapter for SAP integrates with SAP using the SAP .Net Connector (developed by SAP).  Licensing is probably based on the number of concurrent connections to the SAP system. This may be tunable either within the adapter settings or by global settings for the .Net Connector for mySAP.

The following link should provide additional information regarding the adapter settings: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd788572(v=bts.10).aspx 

You should contact your SAP representative regarding licensing to the SAP system.

David Downing... If this answers your question, please Mark as the Answer. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 11:45 PM
  • Hi David,

Please clarify when you say "concurrent connections" how SAP is licensing on this.

Also please advise when SAP team says license in terms of HOSTNAME captured and they are charging for users documents parked in SAP. As these users are created in SAP HR.

-- Kind Regards Sandeep

Sunday, August 26, 2012 11:40 AM
  • There are many ways software is licensed, some are per CPU, some are licensed as an enterprise license (everything is covered no matter how many), some are by the maximum number of connections opened concurrently.  It's also possible that SAP has multiple levels of licensing, for example, they may require a license based on the maximum number of concurrent connections, as well as a license for each user in the HR respository.

I am not an SAP licensing expert, so I really cannot comment on how their software is licensed.  If possible, you should talk directly with either your SAP representative, or an SAP technical expert to get details on both the connection licensing as well as individual application licensing.

If you find that the SAP system is licensed by the maximum number of concurrent connections, you should be able to control this using the SAP adapter setting MaxConnectionsPerSystem.  Note this setting applies to all SAP artifacts within an application domain (refer to the link in my previous post).

Using the BizTalk SAP Adapter for mySAP, you should be able to make RFC calls and integrate with your messaging and workflow processes.  I did an internet search using "BizTalk Adapter for mySAP RFC tutorial" which listed many possible samples.

If you provide some more details on what your project requirements are with respecto to SAP integration, perhaps someone may have more insight.

David Downing... If this answers your question, please Mark as the Answer. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful.

Monday, August 27, 2012 1:32 PM
  • Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

I had consult SAP team to get to know license terms, they says SAP is implementing license on how many users data is posted to SAP.

Basically for employee portal, we post vouchers(like if employee is on visit and do expense in comapny behalf) to reimburse those user make claim in portal which has go to approval mechanism and later when voucher is closed BizTalk using SQL adapter checked SQL table what all vouchers are closed and ready for park.

BizTalk at receive location will do detaching of vouchers and using Send-Receive SAP Port sends voucher xml to SAP .Which in response gives SAP voucher number which we store back to SQL table.  

-- Kind Regards Sandeep

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:19 AM
  • "Note this setting applies to all SAP artifacts within an application domain"

What constitutes an "application domain" in a BizTalk context? A server? A host instance?

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 2:38 PM
  • twhensley

It is more tricky than that, read this blog "BizTalk Host Settings – “Default application domain for isolated adapter”   I would suggest that you enable that setting so that all receive locations are under the same application domain. And also a Stack Overflow Q&A What are the implications of enabling the Default application domain for isolated adapter in BizTalk?

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 8:58 PM
  • This question is very old and the stack on both sides has changed a lot.

If you're having a problem, please post the full details with the versions you're using.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 9:03 PM