OCS 2007 VoIP through the internet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I was asked this week by a student (I'm an MCT) if it is possible to use VoIP through the internet if one partner is using OCS 2007 and the other is not. If so, how would the company using OCS have to set up their system? With a mediation server?

Thanks for any input!

Cheers,

Gerrit

Friday, July 11, 2008 9:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Gerrit,

this is unsupported at this point. OCS uses the RTaudio codec internally, which is only licensed to Microsoft. to talk to other parties you would need to convert this codec to G711 for example, thru the mediation server. at this point, the mediation server does not support VOIP providers, so this will be a tough cookie.

for now, I have never heard of actually getting this to work properly..

Korneel.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Gerrit,

this is unsupported at this point. OCS uses the RTaudio codec internally, which is only licensed to Microsoft. to talk to other parties you would need to convert this codec to G711 for example, thru the mediation server. at this point, the mediation server does not support VOIP providers, so this will be a tough cookie.

for now, I have never heard of actually getting this to work properly..

Korneel.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:32 AM
  • Hi Korneel,

thanks for the answer. It's to bad, that it doesn't work. I hope MS adds this feature. At least here in Germany it would help make selling OCS alot easier.

Cheers,

Gerrit

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:17 AM