none
requirement in SSRS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I am not sure whether this is possible or not but I have a requirement in SSRS. 

What I want to do is I want to validate username and password in ssrs using stored procedure. Is it possible???? So something like in SSRS

Login Page Username:- farhan@a.com Password:- 12345 So as user enter these details in SSRS , SP should check the username and password details stored in a table in SQL server and validate those details. If validated correctly then SSRS should redirect it into a new page with more further details. If the details are incorrect then SSRS should redirect it to a new page/display on same page which says invalid credentials. Please try. Is it possible in SSRS.

If it is possible then please someone guide me.

Regards

Farhan Jamil

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 12:55 PM

Answers

• Hello friend,
    Have you solved the question?
    If you have resolved your issue, could you please mark the useful reply as answer? This can be beneficial to other community members finding and reading the thread easily. 
    In addition, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks for your contribution.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by JamilFarhan Thursday, July 16, 2020 1:21 PM
    Thursday, July 9, 2020 1:19 AM

All replies

• First of all, see Plain Text Offenders. You never store a password.

Then, what is your goal here?

If you're looking for some custom authentication, then see Custom Authentication in Reporting Services.

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 1:04 PM
  • HI stefan

I would like to replicate username and password authentication, the same way as we do it when we login to our hotmail or gmail account. I know we dont store password as plain text. This is just for learning purpose not a live requirement  to see if ssrs has the capability to use sp to authenticate username and password details stored in db and after authentication can it redirect to a new page or not.

I am not sure if it is possible. My question can be irrelevant but just a thought to see if this is practically possible

Regards

Farhan Jamil

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 1:15 PM
  • Hi JamilFarhan,

According to your description, I think you don't have to use SP to authenticate username and password details stored in DB. Actually, you can use built-in authentication in SSRS and then authenticate DB username & password to access the data source. 

Below steps is tutorial to setting authenticate DB username & password to access the data source:

1. When you open Web Portal URL, it will prompt authentication window, you need to enter the username and password in SSRS

2. Right click the report you want to double authentication, choose Manager, then in Data sources tab, choose " By prompting the user viewing the report for credentials", then choose credentials type: Database, then enter "Prompt" word you want , finally click " Save"

3. When you open the report, you have to enter username and password in DB login to view report

And here are some articles on SSRS authentication may help:

Authentication with the Report Server

Specify Credential and Connection Information for Report Data Sources

Hope it will help.

Best Regards

Dawn

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 1:59 AM
  • Hello friend,
    Have you solved the question?
    If you have resolved your issue, could you please mark the useful reply as answer? This can be beneficial to other community members finding and reading the thread easily. 
    In addition, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks for your contribution.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by JamilFarhan Thursday, July 16, 2020 1:21 PM
    Thursday, July 9, 2020 1:19 AM