none
M2 Encrypted Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user's M2 Sata drive hooked up to my own machine via an enclosure in an attempt to save the data from it as it is booting into the dreaded Automatic repair loop.

On my PC, in Computer Management the drive is showing up as online and healthy with 3 partitions as expected. The drive is encrypted with bitlocker and I have the key.

However, in BitLocker management it tells me that bitlocker is not on for the drive. And in file explorer, there is the disk is showing up with no data and is asking to be formatted when you try to access it, acting just as if it has been encrypted.

Can anyone help me get around this?

Friday, October 4, 2019 9:00 AM

All replies

• There is no getting around BitLocker -- it would be useless if you could.

When you try to access the encrypted volume, it will prompt you for the recovery key using the ID of the volume. That ID is what you need to use to look up in MBAM. If it's not there, there's nothing anyone can do.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Friday, October 4, 2019 11:52 AM
  • Hi. 

Yes, I know it would defeat the purpose of encryption. Maybe I phrased that wrong. What I'm asking is does anyone know why MBAM is telling me that the drive is not encrypted when I know it is. And does anyone know how to remedy that. 

Friday, October 4, 2019 1:16 PM
  • Nobody is going to be able to tell you why a volume's recovery key wasn't properly escrowed to MBAM as in a perfect world, that shouldn't happen.

Have you queried the MBAM database directly to see if the volume's ID is listed at all?

Are you sure MBAM was ever installed on the system originally hosting the drive?

Have you queried MBAM to see if that is even listed in MBAM?

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Friday, October 4, 2019 1:31 PM
  • You said, you have "the key". What key do you have, the recovery password?

CLearly there's something funny, since on an encrypted drive, explorer should always prompt for the recovery password.

So let's try the command line. Open an elevated command line and launch

manage-bde -status 

and quote the output here.

Saturday, October 5, 2019 11:21 AM
  • Hi.

Yes, I have the recovery password. 

Manage BDE shows this:

Volume G:  []

[Data Volume]

Size: Unknown GB

Bitlocker Version: None

Conversion Status: Fully Decrypted

Percentage Encrypted: 0.0%

Encryption Method: None

Protection Status: Protection Off

Lock Status: Unlocked

Identification Field: None

Automatic Unlock: Disabled

Key Protectors: None Found

everything suggests it isn't encrypted. But I know it was before it was given to the user. I have the recovery password and I can't access the drive, it's acting the same as it does when I connect it to my drive enclosure as an encrypted drive would

Monday, October 7, 2019 1:15 PM