none
Task sequence can not be run the program files cannot be located on a distribution point RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

This is the error message I receive when I try a PXE boot in order to install a windows OS onto a new device.

Initially it finds the PXE Server and boots the WINPE wim image ok.

I am then asked to enter a password and select a Task Sequence to run.

Once the task sequence is select and click next.

The following message appears

"The task sequence cannot run because the program files for xxxxx cannot be located on the distribution point"

I'm unsure what I can check on SCCM to see what exists and what may have to be created again. i.e. recreate the task sequence.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 6:07 PM

All replies

• Exactly as the message indicates, the source files for the package ID listed are not available on an accessible point. You need to find this package (by ID) in the console and check its distribution status as well as validating that the package is successfully distributed to the DPs servicing the target system. 

You may also need to validate your boundaries to ensure that the targeted system (or really the IP it receives during PXE) is within a proper boundary that is included in a boundary group that is mapped to a DP that has the content successfully distributed to it. Keep in mind the IP Subnet boundaries are typically a horrible choise and that AD Site boundaries are problematic during PXE boot; i.e., IP Address Ranges are the best choice.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 7:18 PM
  • Hi,

1.Please help check your boundaries and boundary groups configuration. And double check that the boundary group is assigned to the DP which you are advertising the task sequence from. Administration -> Distribution Points -> A DP properties -> Boundary Group.

2. Please check the referenced packages are 100% distributed. What is the distribution status for the package?
    \Software Library\Overview\Application Management\Packages - Green?

If not - try to redistribute the package. See under Monitoring for the distribution status.
    \Software Library\Overview\Application Management\Packages - The package.

3. Please also check whether you have integrated the right NIC drivers to WinPE or not.

4. If possible, we can also disable the TS step that use the certain package could not be located to have a try.

Here are some similar thread for your reference:
    SCCM Distribution Manager Failed to access source directory
    Error: some drivers cannot be imported successfully

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon Ren

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:00 AM
  • Hi,

May we know the current status of the question? If there is any other assistance we can provide, please feel free to let us know, we will do our best to help you.

Thanks and regards,
    Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 16, 2019 2:44 AM