Where can I get a copy of Office Professional Plus for Office 365 BEFORE the transition? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a client that will be transitioning from BPOS to Office 365 in a couple of weeks. They are running Office 2003 on their machines, which is a problem because Office 365 does not support this. We're planning on upgrading to the Office 365 plan that does include Office 2010, but I would like to install it BEFORE the transition to minimize downtime. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 12:00 AM

All replies

• You can follow this help article to perform a pre-stage of the Office Pro Plus suite:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg998766.aspx

Have a great day,

Dan Trautman

www.insecurityinc.info

Friday, February 10, 2012 4:35 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Dan, but this is the problem I'm asking about. I'm not on Office 365 yet, so I don't have access to the Office 365 Portal.

Friday, February 10, 2012 7:21 PM
  • I have heard that users are able to login to their O365 Portal using their BPOS account ONCE they are in a Transition batch AND have changed their BPOS password, which triggers a password synchronization into O365.  YOu can try to login to https://portal.microsoftonline.com using your BPOS password.  Once in, you should be able to access the Downloads link and pull down Lync, Office Pro Plus and run the Desktop Setup tool. 

can you try this and let us know whether this works for you?  Note that if you already have Office 2007 or 2010 that will work just fine against O365, it just does not have the Office Subscription Agent (OSA) which checks in with O365 to validate your account and subscription information!

HTH

Transitions Community Lead ...Ryan J. Phillips

• Proposed as answer by Ryanph [MSFT] Sunday, February 12, 2012 3:20 AM
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 3:20 AM
  • I was able to log into the Office 365 Portal once I changed the password, but I still am not able to download Office 2010. I guess there really isn't a way to do this. Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:30 PM
  • I do have this issue as well. Is it possible to sign up for the trial of 365E3, download the Office and Lync installers and install them over the transition weekend when users are out of the office and activate it with the config tool Monday morning?
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Hi Chris/Daniel, you are saying that even though you can login to Microsoft Online Portal (MOP) that you are not able to access the downloads section?  Or not able to see downloads for Lync and/or Office Pro Plus?

I'm wondering if your accounts are not given a subscription, which is why you don't see the download options?  If you can provide a screenshot of what you are seeing when you say "I cannot download", just need to know if the page doesn't display, the products don't display, etc?

Looking forward to your response!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:40 PM
  • I have not transitioned yet and am currently on BPOS Exchange only. When I log into the portal I only have the option for Setup and Configure Applications in the Downloads section. Since with the transition I will lose Outlook 2003 functionality until I am able to convert my account from Office365 Exchange Online Plan 1 to Office365 E3 in order to get the Office 2010PP download, I am looking to try and get Office installed prior to my conversion so that I have no loss in service from an Outlook stand point. That way I also don't have to point my users to OWA for email access while I work to upgrade their systems starting Day 1 after the transition.

Is the download available on the trial of E3 just a standard install like mine will be once we transition? Or will I not be able to install over the weekend while my accounts are being transitioned and activate them on Monday once it is part of my subscription offering?

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:05 PM
  • Chris,

You are correct that you can grab the files from a trial account and then use them for your transition setup.

Have a great day,

Dan

www.insecurityinc.info

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Hi Chris et al, Chris you are right that synchronized users are not being given a subscription, at least not until the Finalization of the Transition.  This means that users won't have the option to download Pro Plus until that happens, so as Dan stated, creating a trial to download the software seems to be the only option we have right now.

BUT...I field a Design Change request (DCR) on this to grant synchronized users a subscription, so this option would become available and people can get in and get their desktops ready for the "Monday Morning" Lets Work action.  I've reached out to them to see how they are coming on this request and I will hopefully have something to respond with shortly.

HTH

Monday, April 9, 2012 5:30 PM