none
Where to start to code (or else) to hide external touchpad from Windows Explorer? RRS feed

• Question

• There's a 64-bit media player, PotPlayer, that can be controlled from a touchpad using programmable gestures. All my computers are (home-built) Desktops, none of which have a touchpad, So I purchased a small, external wireless USB touchpad.

Very unfortunately, whenever I connect it, Windows Explorer or the OS grabs total control over it and treats it just like another mouse. This apparently completely prevents PotPlayer from seeing the touchpad as a touchpad. It's always treated as a mouse and nothing else. This is true under both Windows 7 Pro and Windows 10 Pro.

I've asked at several fora how I might prevent it from being recognized / treated as a mouse and then ensure that whatever application has touchpad support can see and work with it as a touchpad.  No one has been able to help me.

First question: Does anyone know of anything already available that can solve this problem for me?

My under-informed guess is not, so I'm prepared to try to learn enough of applicable Windows Internals using C or C++ or Python or Visual Basic to try to solve this problem myself (with assistance from this forum). I own a license for MS Visual Studio 2017 Pro, although I've only barely used it.

Before I retired, I had a great career as a System Programmer, so I've been very comfortable with OS internals, including Windows NT's predecessors VMS and before that RSX-11M. But I have no experience at all with modern Windows internals or even traditional coding under Windows except for AutoIt (which has given me strong experience with various APIs).

If I do need to code my own solution, it would be great if I could do it with API calls (though I would like to have recommendations for which API sets would be best to use), or modifying some internal data structures. Otherwise, I'm willing to try to learn enough to modify an existing driver. Although I've written several device drivers in simpler OSs, developing a Windows 10 device driver is pretty damned intimidating! But I could try...

So my second question is: Would an experienced person kindly point me in the right direction(s)?  I'll use it under 64-bit Windows 10 Pro.

Thank you all!

• Edited by RegnadKcin47 Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:11 PM typo
    Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:08 PM

All replies

• How does this sound: How about if I modify a renamed "usb.inf" file to provide a different set of info that is not compatible with, or recognizable as, a mouse? I would also probably rename the drive file (usbccgp.sys) to something else and have the .inf file indicate the new driver name?

Do you think that would work?

Thursday, February 28, 2019 10:45 PM
  • Otherwise, how about if I code up a Virtual HID, User-level Lower-Level Filter Driver that I can load on demand that would intercept I/O from passing through to the default mouse-HID level(s)?

What say you?

Thursday, February 28, 2019 11:09 PM
  • Try the forum where driver writers hang out.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/home?forum=wdk

Saturday, March 2, 2019 8:35 PM
  • Thanks for your reply and your tip!
    Saturday, March 2, 2019 8:52 PM