none
SharePoint 2013 Workflow not starting automatically when item is created by Visual Studio site workflow RRS feed

• Question

• On my SharePoint Online site, I want to have a SharePoint 2013 Workflow trigger automatically when my site workflow creates an item.  The SharePoint 2010 workflow runs but for some reason the SharePoint 2013 does not run.   

I've read that there is a restriction that prevents SharePoint 2013 workflows from starting when another SharePoint 2013 workflow creates the item.  It looks like same restriction applies to Visual Studio site workflows.  Can somebody confirm?

I saw there was a fix for on-premise:

stsadm.exe –o setproperty –propertyname declarativeworkflowautostartonemailenabled –propertyvalue yes

(Reference: https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/221751/spd-2013-workflow-not-starting-automatically-on-item-creation )

Is there something similar that can be done for SharePoint Online sites?

Thursday, July 9, 2020 5:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I think visual studio workflow solution is not support in SharePoint Online.

Suggest that you can create SharePoint workflow with Designer.

Or you can try power automate, it's another good solution for workflow in SharePoint Online.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    Linyu - SharePoint Engineer
    QQ Group: 72637444

Friday, July 10, 2020 3:14 AM
  • Hi Eric,

What’s your purpose to do this in two workflows?

Since the visual studio workflow as a SharePoint hosted add-in in SharePoint online, it does not support what you want.

We suggest you combine actions in one flow(Power Automate) in SharePoint online.

More information for your reference:

https://www.enjoysharepoint.com/sharepoint-develop-workflows-add-in-using-visual-studio/

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/flow-in-spo-document-libraries/

https://sharepointmaven.com/what-is-microsoft-flow/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, July 10, 2020 8:23 AM
  • The Visual Studio workflow works fine.  It's just that my SharePoint Designer 2013 workflow doesn't recognize new items that are created by the Visual Studio Workflow

This is what I'm doing...

I use a Visual Studio Workflow to run a daily check of on our client's site to schedule tasks.  If a task is ready to start, an item is created in a Tasks list and an email notification item is created in another list.  I use a SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow to start when a new item is created in the email notification list where it sends out an email.  (The reason we use a SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow to send the email instead of using the built-in email function in the Visual Studio workflow is that some email recipients don't have a SharePoint profile.  One of the fields in the email notification list is the list of email addresses which the 2010 workflow uses)

One client wanted to modify the content of the email body.  Since the Visual Studio workflow is deployed to multiple clients, I thought of just using a SharePoint Designer 2013 workflow to modify the body before the SharePoint 2010 workflow sends out the email.

What I wound up doing is to port my SharePoint Designer 2013 workflow to Microsoft Flow.   This seems to work.

I don't plan on moving the Visual Studio Workflow to Power Automate is that the workflow pulls data from multiple lists and it would be very difficult to maintain all the Microsoft Flows across all my clients.   

Monday, July 13, 2020 3:58 PM