Transition from OLSB to Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

My query relates to transitioning a Office Live SB Account with my domain hosted with Melbourne IT all I am interested in migrating across to O365 is my email, reading the transition guide and sending 3 emails to microsoft O365 support with no reply I am now stuck with what to do and I'm hoping somebody here can help.

On the bottom of page 6 and the whole of page 7 on the transition guide it states the following:

If you have an email address based on a custom domain (such as joe@fourthcoffee.com or susan@contoso.com), but you don’t need your domain for a website, you can use Windows Live Admin Center to manage email accounts at your domain.
    Self-transition guide for Office Live Small Business Customers | 7
    To do this:

1. Save your email to your computer and have each person in your company save theirs.
    a) Install Windows Live Mail from Windows Live Essentials. It’s free.
    b) Follow the directions in Windows Live Mail to add your existing email account.
    c) Windows Live Mail will save copies of all your mail, contacts to your computer.
    d) Later, after you’ve moved your domain, you can continue to use Windows Live Mail, or use www.windowslive.com (Hotmail) like you are used to.

2. Contact OLSB Support. Say: I’ve already backed up my email and documents. Now I need my domain to be released from Office Live Small business.

 My domain is:

 My primary email address at that domain is:

 An alternate email address that you can use to contact me is:
    3. A Support agent will notify you when your domain has been removed from OLSB. This usually takes 24 business hours. If it takes longer, please contact OLSB Support to ask for status on the request.
    4. Go to Windows Live Admin Center.
    5. Click Sign up now—it’s free.
    6. Enter your domain name, select Set up Windows Live Hotmail for my domain, and then click Continue.
    7. Sign in with a Windows Live ID or create a new one. An email message will be sent to this address so that you can verify that it is yours.
    8. Follow the directions to finish setting up your account.
    9. After you have set up your account, go to the Domain settings page. Follow the directions to prove that you own the domain. (You can’t use Windows Live Admin Center to manage a domain unless you own it.)
    10. When the domain has been verified, the status on the Domain settings page will change from “Pending” to “Approved”.
    11. At this point, you can manage your email accounts in Windows Live Admin Center, and can use www.windowslive.com (Hotmail) to read your email. More information:
    12. Copy the email that you saved to your computer into your new Hotmail account.

I have used outlook 2010 to backup all my server emails locally to PST file, but I'm unsure what to do next. Do i need to contact MElbourne IT to move the account or do i just email Office Live and tell them to do it?

Thanks in advance

Himesh

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:50 AM

All replies

• Himesh,

Your next step at this point is going to be to contact Melbourne IT, your domain name host, and have them update your DNS Records; MX records and TXT records. Once you have done this, you can proceed with the rest of the transition process. If you email The Micrososft Online Technical Support Team for Office 365 requesting that we do this, we will end up having you make these changes yourself as they are in your realm of responsibility pre-transtition.

http://www.melbourneit.com.au/

We would, however, be happy to walk you through the process.

Shaun Glasgow

Office 365 Frontline Support Engineer

Monday, April 30, 2012 7:06 PM