none
Error 42019 / 49918 Connecting Azure SQL Database from SSMS, RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm still new to Azure, and learning and testing with Basic service level databases

Tonight, I am getting this error when trying to connect to my Azure databases via SSMS, this error appears when trying to expand the Sql server list of databases.  

<ErrorCode>49918</ErrorCode>
    <ErrorDescription>Cannot process request. Not enough resources to process request. Please retry your request later.</ErrorDescription>
    <ErrorDetails>Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Framework.Web.ManagementServiceException: Cannot process request. Not enough resources to process request. Please retry your request later. ---&gt; Microsoft.Xdb.Common.FiniteStateMachineUserException: Cannot process request. Not enough resources to process request. Please retry your request later.
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Service.Workflows.Core.Throttling.ThrottlingCriteriaBase.Throttle(Boolean throttlingCondition, ThrottleCriteriaInput input, SqlErrorResource sqlError, Action`2 publishEvent, Boolean throttlingEnabled) in d:\\dbs\\sh\\a3st\\0129_222850\\cmd\\2\\sql\\xdb\\manifest\\svc\\mgmt\\work (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 42019)

Does this reflect a problem with resources in the Azure environment, or some sort of throttling that is going on with my account?

I believe the server/database is available, because I have a Azure deployed web app that is able to connect to the database.

Thanks for any insights to what is causing this type of error. 

Jim

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 6:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm still new to Azure, and learning and testing with Basic service level databases

Tonight, I am getting this error when trying to connect to my Azure databases via SSMS, this error appears when trying to expand the Sql server list of databases.  

<ErrorDescription>Cannot process request. Not enough resources to process request. Please retry your request later.</ErrorDescription>
    <ErrorDetails>Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Framework.Web.ManagementServiceException: Cannot process request. Not enough resources to process request. Please retry your request later. ---&gt; Microsoft.Xdb.Common.FiniteStateMachineUserException: Cannot process request. Not enough resources to process request. Please retry your request later.
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Service.Workflows.Core.Throttling.ThrottlingCriteriaBase.Throttle(Boolean throttlingCondition, ThrottleCriteriaInput input, SqlErrorResource sqlError, Action`2 publishEvent, Boolean throttlingEnabled) in d:\\dbs\\sh\\a3st\\0129_222850\\cmd\\2\\sql\\xdb\\manifest\\svc\\mgmt\\work (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 42019)

Does this reflect a problem with resources in the Azure environment, or some sort of throttling that is going on with my account?

I believe the server/database is available, because I have a Azure deployed web app that is able to connect to the database.

Jim

Good day,

Error 49918 "Cannot process request. Not enough resources to process request." means that the service is currently busy. Check the link.

Can you confirm that your DTU is not fully used and maybe test in higher tier (maybe in specific time several other databases which you do not control led the server to be busy in un-normal way. In this case, try to scale up the database using the portal and not the transact SQL as T-SQL might failed for the same reason.

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

• Marked as answer by JA BizInfo Tuesday, February 5, 2019 3:31 PM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2019 8:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Jim

Good day,

Error 49918 "Cannot process request. Not enough resources to process request." means that the service is currently busy. Check the link.

Can you confirm that your DTU is not fully used and maybe test in higher tier (maybe in specific time several other databases which you do not control led the server to be busy in un-normal way. In this case, try to scale up the database using the portal and not the transact SQL as T-SQL might failed for the same reason.

signature   Ronen Ariely

• Marked as answer by JA BizInfo Tuesday, February 5, 2019 3:31 PM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2019 8:50 AM
  • Thank you. I had not found that page. 

This morning things are working again, but during the outage I did try to look in Portal for usage on my server, but the diagnostics were showing available and healthy. I did not see information indicating that I was looking at the overall Basic tier shared DTU performance.

Jim

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 3:31 PM
  • You are most welcome Jim

I am glad to hear that the issue was resolved :-)
    It is very rare case and if it happens again then check the option to use higher tier even if the DTU does not come to 100%

Here are your first +5 points :-)
    For closing the thread and remembering saying thanks,just as a startup

signature   Ronen Ariely

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 3:36 PM
  • I am running into the same issue. Since yesterday my colleagues and I are getting "Operation timed out. Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 42019" when connecting to our Azure SQL database server with SQL Server Management Studio when expanding databases. The issues is somewhat intermittent, and sometimes it works.

We have tried both SSMS version 17.9.1 and version 18.4.

In Azure Portal for the SQL Server, under DTU quota it says we are currently using 320 / 54000 DTU (0,6%).

We have 17 SQL databases on this server in different Pricing tiers, currently S0 to S2.

It works to execute queries using the Query editor in the SQL database blade in Azure portal, and web apps accessing the database works without issues. It is only listing databases in SSMS that is not working

@Jim: did you do anything to resolve your issue?

@Ronen: any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

Best regards
    Magnus

Friday, November 15, 2019 6:14 PM
  • Sorry Magnus,

I don't have a solution for you. We didn't do anything to resolve the issue, it seemed to be a temporary issue that resolved itself and has not reoccurred since. 

Best of luck,

Jim

Friday, November 15, 2019 6:26 PM
  • OK, thank you. Works now for us also without us doing anything. Seems to be intermittent.

Have a nice day!

Monday, November 18, 2019 9:34 AM