Upgrade in place RC0 to RTM (SharePoint Integrated features) RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed the following SQL Server 2012 RC0 features into a SharePoint farm:

• SSRS (Reporting Services)
    • PowerPivot for SharePoint

Now that RTM is available, can anyone tell me if there is the possibility of doing an in-place upgrade from RC0 to RTM, or will I need to tear down these servers and re-install?

Thanks!

Mike:o

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:53 PM

All replies

• I just came to Forums to ask the very same question.  SQL2012 Install clearly includes upgrade from 2005, 2008 and 2008R2.  Upgrade from 2012RCO is noticeably missing. I have serveral SQL instances running on my server.  I started the upgrade process and came to a screen that warned me that I could put the instance in an "inconsistent state".  I may try again another time when I can handle a full "tear-down and re-install".  Hope that helps.

Mario

Mario

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:56 PM
  • Just wasted 12 hours attempting all variations of this SharePoint BI upgrade from RC0 to RTM.  Everything EXCEPT SSRS and Power View upgrade.  What a huge bummer....   It does look like yet another total rebuild - tear down and re-install scenario.

Jen

Sunday, March 18, 2012 2:50 AM
  • After more persistence, I was able to find a way to get my custom SharePoint BI RC0 image in-place upgraded to RTM.  This was not at all elegant but it seemed to do the trick:

1. On RC0 base image, uninstall SSRS SharePoint Integrated Mode and the SSRS Add-In for SharePoint; ALSO uninstall the Report Viewer 2012 control from the Control Panel
    2. Reboot
    3. In-place upgrade the default instance (DB, AS, DQS) and also check the boxes to ADD SSRS SharePoint Integrated Mode and the SSRS Add-In for SharePoint
    4. Reboot
    5. In-place upgrade PowrePivot instance
    6. Reboot
    7. In-place upgrade Mulitdimensional instance
    8. Reboot
    9. Now go to SharePoint Central Admin > Manage Service Applications > SSRSSharepoint > Key Management and Change Encryption Key
    10. Install latest verison of SilverLight (you are prompted with the link when you try to launch a Power View report)
    11. Continue with upgrading Office Excel PowerPivot to the RTM version to match the upgraded SharePoint PowerPivot version
    12. Manually update any PowerPivot files that you have in SharePoint to Excel PowerPivot RTM version and republish them for PowerPivot data refresh to work

I think that was it…  I got a few emails from other people saying they did not have trouble in-place upgrading.  I don’t know what magic they did but I tried it a few times, various order of installs etc. without luck.  The above approach was the only way I could get an in-place upgrade to work to retain all my work.

Regards,
    Jen

Jen

Sunday, March 18, 2012 5:06 PM