none
azureSQL data sync and on premise sql db ( in mirrored state) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We  have  SQL mirroring  (  with automatic  failover,  witness )  on premises

Client plans  to  have one  of  Mirrored  DB  now  to  Azure  SQL   DB    for  next  2-3  months initially

Is   it possible  that once  Azure SQL DB   is live, we keep  syncing  Live Azure   DB  to on premise( mirrored  SQL  DB) ,  so as just in case   they need  on premise   DB     to be   back in production then   on premises  DB     can be taken live.    without  breaking mirror

• Edited by Dipsu Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:01 AM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:00 AM

All replies

• Mirroring is not supported for Azure SQL database you need to see Transactional replication to Azure SQl database

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 5:47 PM
  • Hi    Shashank

thanks   for  your response,  so  we will need  to  break Mirror   on  On premise SQL DB (  which client intends  now  to  make live Azure SQL)  and then  either chosoe   azure SQL data sync   agent  or  transaction replication?

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 7:51 AM
  • Hi    Shashank

thanks   for  your response,  so  we will need  to  break Mirror   on  On premise SQL DB (  which client intends  now  to  make live Azure SQL)  and then  either chosoe   azure SQL data sync   agent  or  transaction replication?

If you are going to Azure SQL database yes mirroring cannot be there you have to use Replication but please note it has some limitations. Regarding data sync you need to tell me your exact requirement since you were using mirroring I would suggest replication 

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 8:13 AM
  • As already conveyed by Shashank, Azure SQL DB does not support mirroring at this time. please refer the below for feature comparison:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-features

Also you can look into the options of Transactional Replication or Azure SQL Data Sync for the options:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/replication-to-sql-database
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-sync-data

If your client is willing to look at other Azure Cloud options, you can also propose Active Geo Replication:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-active-geo-replication

This can also serve as the Disaster Recovery plan for your data.

Please let us know if you want to discuss any particular scenario and we will be glad to help you.

Monday, July 15, 2019 8:15 PM
  • Thanks  Navtej and Shashank

I understand   that    SQL mirroring is not feasible  between  on premise  and  Azure SQL db

hwoever here  secnario    is     currently on premise  DB "testDB is   in  Mirroring state

Now  a new azure SQL  db  "testDB" will be setup  and data   will be migrated   from on premise DB  to  azure SQL DB

applications will be pointed  to  use  the Azure SQL  DB "testDB"

Client wants to retain current on premise   server   and wish  to  sync    the changes   happening to  production azure SQL DB 'testDB'  to   on premise  DB 'testDB' (   so    do we need to   break mirror  on on premise   DB),  i think    as per Shashank , we  need to break  mirror on premise DB

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 9:28 AM

• Client wants to retain current on premise   server   and wish  to  sync    the changes   happening to  production azure SQL DB 'testDB'  to   on premise  DB 'testDB' (   so    do we need to   break mirror  on on premise   DB),  i think    as per Shashank , we  need to break  mirror on premise DB

Yes you need to break the mirroring and configure replication if you need to sync

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, July 18, 2019 5:28 AM