none
402 (Payment Required) for NuGet downloads

Question

• In Visual Studio 2017 (or 2015), in NuGet package manager, when I try to browse NuGet packages from my own company's package source repository, I get the following error (this started happening recently, and didn't happen a week ago):

[mycompany (Prod-Debug)] Unable to load the service index for source https://mycompany.pkgs.visualstudio.com/_packaging/Prod-Debug/nuget/v3/index.json.

Response status code does not indicate success: 402 (Payment Required).

I get very similar errors ("Unable to load the service index for source...") when I try to download any other NuGet package.

My company has Action Pack level partnership with MPN. Why is this suddenly happening?

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 2:56 PM

All replies

• Hi bpearce-edu,

Thanks for posting here.

The 402 Payment Required status code means that the private feed is locked because the feed owner's subscription has expired.

If the owner of a private feed downgrades a paid subscription to a free one or if the subscription expires, any private feeds on the account will become read-only for a period of days. After this period, the feed will become locked, meaning private feeds cannot be accessed until the subscription is renewed or the feed is made public.

To resolve this issue, please try to contact the owner of your company's package source repository. As a test, you can download a common package from the nuget.org, for example, Newtonsoft.Json.

Hope this can help you.

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 6:38 AM
  • Leo--Liu:

Thank you for your respose.

Isn't the access to package management under MPN Action Pack - Visual Studio subscription? Currently, if I navigate to mycompany.pkgs.visualstudio.com, I get the error: "TF400813:The user 'Windows Live ID\myusername@mycompany.com' is not authorized to access this resource."

Our Visual Studio subscription does not expire until some time next year (2018). How do I make my account have access to the packages, when my Visual Studio subscription valid and active? Are you saying I have access through some other subscription? Which one?

Thanks

Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:30 PM
  • @bpearce-edu,

>>>How do I make my account have access to the packages, when my Visual Studio subscription valid and active? Are you saying I have access through some other subscription? Which one?

Since this issue is more related to Pricing & Billing, I help you move it to Pricing & Billing for better support. If you have some question about VS IDE, please feel free to contact us. We will try our best to give you a solution.
    Thank you for your understanding.  

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 21, 2017 10:31 AM
  • I would suggest you to create a ticket with the Azure Billing team in order to check if there is a limitation from the MPN subscription that is causing issues for NuGet downloads.

Sapna G

Friday, April 21, 2017 4:26 PM
  • This is not the only case of this issue.  We have a feed available to me, but not another user in the group.  It presents the same error message.
    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 2:42 PM
  • One way to check this is to have the (authenticated) user hit the feed URL in a browser, you may find that your VS license is not sufficient.

"Package Management is not included with Visual Studio Professional subscriptions."

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ms.feed

• Edited by jdrake A Wednesday, May 10, 2017 2:55 PM added clarification
    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 2:55 PM
  • Hello,

I just started getting this error as well.  We are supposed to get 5 free licenses for all accounts so not sure why suddenly it is getting this error.

Jonathon

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:56 PM
  • Hello,

I just started getting this error as well.  We are supposed to get 5 free licenses for all accounts so not sure why suddenly it is getting this error.

Jonathon

I have the same situation! I created the feed, I am able to push and fetch packages from it.

Now I want my 2 teammembers to consume, and they cant search the feed because of a Payment Required exception

Thursday, September 28, 2017 8:40 AM
  • No resolution yet?
    Friday, November 10, 2017 2:38 PM